OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also picked up some rox carbon. I’m impressed. Definitely helped with water clarity

added a bottle of tigger pods. Can’t find any in the tank now but they are all over the carbon bag in the middle section.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Question for you lighting guys. I’m using the Home Depot eggcrate as my lid. When I take the lid off the tank looks clearer than with the lid on. Brighter too. Is this lid blocking light more than a kraken would?

Duncan’s are growing like crazy. Each has 2-3 more heads growing since the new tank.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The egg crate probably lets less light through than the Kraken. The egg crate looks to be about 1/2 inch tall so some light will get blocked/deflected. The Kraken is only a few millimeters thick/tall, and it’s clear. So naturally it’s going to let more thorough.

That said, if your coral looks good, no need to change anything. It doesn’t look like anything in your tank would be hurt by whatever amount of light is currently being deflected. You’re actually getting growth which is awesome. Tank looks great by the way.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time i see a fluval 13.5 build thread I know the lids coming off. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Best upgrade i did to my wifes office tank. Ill suggest a dd jumpguard screen top as its looksso clean on a fluval.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough couple of days. Seemed to have lost the royal gramma and the yellow wrasse. They were there swimming around and after a WC never saw them again. They didnt jump out. I think. I looked everywhere. Mystified.

Added 2 cleaner shrimp. They seem happy. Clownfish is happy as can be. Eats like a pig. As did the other fish.

Starting with some heavier diatom growth. Added to the cuc. Fuzzy rocks.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve definitely arrived at the ugly stage. Scrape the glass clean. Next day is already coming back.

just gonna continue with small weekly water changes. If I need to cut lighting way back for a week I will. Everything looks pretty good. Other than that Zoa frag.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It’s been a couple of weeks. Just an update on the tank.

it’s definitely in the ugly stage. Scrape the glass and the next day it needs it again. Never polished clear. Gravel has some silicons growing. Cuc is working hard to keep it in check.

clown fish is happy. Eats great.

Cleaner shrimp are doing well. Both have molted already. aggressive eaters for sure. Lol

doing about 2 gallons WC every Saturday. That’s when I scrape the glass. I let it go during the week. My small fluval needs to done once every 2-4 weeks. Amazing how 6 months makes a difference with a reef

Corals seems happy. Duncan’s are adding heads like crazy. Just counted 5 new baby ones. Mushrooms are dropping babies. Zoas are slowly growing.

I guess that’s it. Just gonna take time.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It’s been a couple of weeks. Just an update on the tank.

it’s definitely in the ugly stage. Scrape the glass and the next day it needs it again. Never polished clear. Gravel has some silicons growing. Cuc is working hard to keep it in check.

clown fish is happy. Eats great.

Cleaner shrimp are doing well. Both have molted already. aggressive eaters for sure. Lol

doing about 2 gallons WC every Saturday. That’s when I scrape the glass. I let it go during the week. My small fluval needs to done once every 2-4 weeks. Amazing how 6 months makes a difference with a reef

Corals seems happy. Duncan’s are adding heads like crazy. Just counted 5 new baby ones. Mushrooms are dropping babies. Zoas are slowly growing.

I guess that’s it. Just gonna take time.

Oh man, you're lucky. I have to do it every 1-2 days or else algae starts building up on the glass, and my EVO is just about a year old.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, you're lucky. I have to do it every 1-2 days or else algae starts building up on the glass, and my EVO is just about a year old.
I mean I could do it weekly but that’s it. It’s my mushroom gsp Xenia tank. Aka the overflow holding tank.

All the coralline algae is new in the last month Very happy to finally see it growing and spreading quickly
image.jpg

zwandz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank!

Lots of people use an upgraded pump with random flow generators. I went the opposite direction and run the stock pump and a Nero 3 which peaks at about 1250gph (so nearly 10x the flow of the stock pump). It ultimately depends on what you want to keep for coral and what your aesthetic preferences are.

Im interested to see what you do with your lid. I went with the Kraken myself (I’m not good with DIY) and don’t regret it.
What’s the Kraken? I’m looking into the Evo and found your comment while researching!

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Added a small bubble tip anemone to the smaller tank. It’s mature. Stick lighting but after a 20 min acclimation I dropped him in and already found a home.

would love to have one in the 13 gallon but not yet.
565904E3-0B7D-4F5F-A461-B7D518A0BDD5.jpeg

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got motivated and painted to cover black. Much better than stark white. The diffusion effect I was seeing seems better also. 939C03D1-FEAD-41C9-BF65-98D34A5EC708.jpeg image.jpg
Need to clean the glass already. Oh well. Gonna put the clown in the 5 gallon and the 6 line in the 13. Will the wrasse kill the cleaner shrimp?

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a crazy distortion on the poster next to the tank. You can’t see threw the side wall but it matches of perfect.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got motivated and painted to cover black. Much better than stark white. The diffusion effect I was seeing seems better also. 939C03D1-FEAD-41C9-BF65-98D34A5EC708.jpeg image.jpg
Need to clean the glass already. Oh well. Gonna put the clown in the 5 gallon and the 6 line in the 13. Will the wrasse kill the cleaner shrimp?
tagging @i cant think to maybe help answer your questions about the wrasse and the cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure it’s possible that’s he decides to eat them. But I keep him fat and happy. He’s such a cool fish. So much character.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish died. Came home to the scarlet legs eating him. Bad run on fish in this tank. Maybe it’s not ready yet. ‍

Pod growth is exploding. Running everywhere. Tank is alive.

OP
OP
tydeck

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my FluvalEVO V. Been running for around 6-7 months

Yes that’s the light from my Fluval EVO 13. Added some protection from the light taking a dip. Figured with the BT anemone the extra light would be welcome. Much brighter than the original stock light

9CF93495-6DDF-46B5-9DE1-DB8D35694AF1.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back