Ugly Phase is Starting (Diatoms); What Should I Do?

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugly phase just started. I spotted some brown spots on the rockwork 2 days ago (I am 99% sure it’s diatoms). I know not to go crazy trying to get rid of them/overreact, but what should I do. Currently, I have no CUC, no refugium, and I run the light for a small amount of time. Should I just let the ugly phase do its thing, then hopefully die off? Or should I take some course of action?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. There is no point of reacting in any way. You will realize that diatoms are gold compared to other algae in the hobby. Just consider that many of us dose silicates to help them thrive. If you are past the cycle phase I would maybe make good use of this occasion to seed with pods the tank. They will thrive feeding on diatoms and hopefully persist in the tank

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. There is no point of reacting in any way. You will realize that diatoms are gold compared to other algae in the hobby. Just consider that many of us dose silicates to help them thrive. If you are past the cycle phase I would maybe make good use of this occasion to seed with pods the tank. They will thrive feeding on diatoms and hopefully persist in the tank
I did think of that, but would I need to have my own pod tank that breeds pods?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back