Ugly phase

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for the ugly stage to pass, also from what I read, it’s algae that has outcompeted bacteria, is it possible to add more bacteria in a bottle to help combat the brown algae? Oh and what’s after the ugly stage?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for the ugly stage to pass, also from what I read, it’s algae that has outcompeted bacteria, is it possible to add more bacteria in a bottle to help combat the brown algae? Oh and what’s after the ugly stage?
My tank was about a year old when it wrapped up. At that point coraline has taken over and other algae doesn't grow like it used to.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after ugly stage is probably an over correction and a different ugly stage when nutrients bottom out

or maybe I'm just bad at it lol

Side note: adding live phyto regularly helped me a solid amount as did an ATS to outcompete

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after ugly stage is probably an over correction and a different ugly stage when nutrients bottom out

Side note: adding live phyto regularly helped me a solid amount as did an ATS to outcompete
Can you explain the side note. Dealing with a newbie. Not familiar with all the acronyms

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also does adding phyto work with Fowlr tanks too?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding live phytoplankton (if you need a recommendation either look on r2r or pm me I can list like 5 that are good)

ATS= algae turf scrubber, I built one for like 10$ and within a couple days my nutrients just plummeted and algaes grow on the ATS instead of the main display

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does adding phyto work with Fowlr tanks too?
absolutely unless im missing something. the phyto can pick up scarce nutrients that some of the larger macros can utilize and will then fuel nuisance algaes.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never really experienced a ugly stage but I’ve always heavily seeded with other LR or filters. I guess you can’t skip but can the ugly stage be real minimal if seeded with LR and filters?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically ugly phase is all of the different types of algaes racing to outcompete each other for nutrients and light. as @TnFishwater98 said, adding established rock means adding a lot of nitrifying bacteria that is at a high enough quantity to stomp out the other algaes before they are able to take off. The ideas behind adding phyto follow the same principles, creating a population of a desired algaes that will outcompete the ugly ones

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically ugly phase is all of the different types of algaes racing to outcompete each other for nutrients and light. as @TnFishwater98 said, adding established rock means adding a lot of nitrifying bacteria that is at a high enough quantity to stomp out the other algaes before they are able to take off. The ideas behind adding phyto follow the same principles, creating a population of a desired algaes that will outcompete the ugly ones
I diss Phyto for my pods...Do peeps dose on Phyto on newly started seeded tanks for the algae reason? If so how much..? Never knew ...

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I diss Phyto for my pods...Do peeps dose on Phyto on newly started seeded tanks for the algae reason? If so how much..? Never knew ...

I didn't and had an ugly phase. I would assume dosing phyto from the start would have some impacts. I cant responsibly say more than that lol

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't and had an ugly phase. I would assume dosing phyto from the start would have some impacts. I cant responsibly say more than that lol
At least you’re honest with your hypothesis...Makes sense

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you honest with your hypothesis...Makes sense
basically my assumptions are rooted in the properties of pre-seeded live rock. I don't think it would have that dramatic of an impact but definitely some

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically my assumptions are rooted in the properties of pre-seeded live rock. I don't think it would have that dramatic of an impact but definitely some
From what I've heard across this board dry rock makes everything tougher for the first year or so. Next go around I'm using all mature rock. It all depends on if you're a quarantine fanatic or not. Personally I welcome the diversity. Next tank I'm using all KP and Gulfliverock. I'm going to order some from both lol.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard across this board dry rock makes everything tougher for the first year or so. Next go around I'm using all mature rock. It all depends on if you're a quarantine fanatic or not. Personally I welcome the diversity. Next tank I'm using all KP and Gulfliverock. I'm going to order some from both lol.
me too lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back