Ugly Phase??

Tronik99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m brand new to reefing. Iv had a 10 gallon water box cube set up for around 2.5 months. Got a couple of clown fish that are doing fine. In the last week there has been a massive increase in brown algae. Iv cleaned the glass but it’s all over the rocks and the sand. My LFS said to leave it and ride it out but something doesn’t add up. Iv added a picture. Is this normal? Iv looked at other ugly phase threads and the pictures look nothing like this. All the parameters are fine I’m testing every other day.

350D8FD6-DD66-4118-8FAA-432B4F694196.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are allowed to clean that out without harm. Your instincts tell you to, the peers of the world want you to leave it, against your inner drive to preserve your investment. The main benefit of being cycled is no degree of cleaning can uncycle. Rip clean it

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this

questions you may have that thread answers:

will cleaning cause a cycle or cause harm- fifty pages of no.

will cleaning make the tank look great- fifty pages of yes

how do I clean it- see fifty pages of 350 cleaning jobs all ran the same way

but those were aged tanks, with corals, mines new: better time to practice, less animals to be in the way

does cleaning cause dinos: no, owning a reef with recently cycled white base rock and leaving them in place causes dinos. Having a wrecked tank, and cleaning it only once and then leaving stuff to remass with zero follow up effort causes dinos, much like failing to prune weeds and dandelions makes a lawn the eyesore of a neighborhood. You can make your reef shine in two hours time. Score ten gallons of new water matching temp and salinity to the current water. All questions are addressed by clicking jobs in the thread they’re all handled the same way.

isnt there a doser i can add to save me work: yes, pull up fifty page work threads on it first. Notice trends: kills one invader, a different one it can’t kill sets in for six months, thats fifty pages of no tradeoff invasions. All added dosers also have coral kill and fish kill patterns of risk, we don’t. Your lfs is wrong x 10

as you study work pages how many times did we take a test or respond to a parameter, or an ID of the organism

Last edited:

amygetsalife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like standard "ugly stage" stuff. Have you got a clean up crew yet? Got a sand vac? I'd siphon off much of that. More flow on it will help too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back