Ugly Stage Getting Too Ugly?

GumboStewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank roughly 3 weeks old. Algae growth is going crazy and idk if this is in a dangerous state. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

IMG_3688.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's not going crazy at all. That's a normal amount of algae to see on dry rock. Remember, the natural state of rock in a reef isn't white- it's meant to be covered entirely in algae.

This isn't the sort of advice you asked for, but IMO, your rockwork could use some rearranging. The stack on the right is nice, but there aren't a lot of caves anywhere in the tank, and the left is a bit too tall both for visual and for coral growth purposes. You might want to rearrange that rock to try to make as much cave space as possible.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
no problem… normal cycle….but it will likely to get worse over the next weeks. Mostly because the tank is too new and I see that you are using dry rock.

My only “concern” is that I see already a coral there.

The advantage of not having any coral at the initial state is that you can simple turn off the lights for a week and the algae is all gone.

You can do it multiple times until the tank is fully mature…

Other than that, best of luck!
Cheers!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank roughly 3 weeks old. Algae growth is going crazy and idk if this is in a dangerous state. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

IMG_3688.jpeg
I am curious. What livestock did you add so far? What are the nitrate and phosphate levels? This seems like a rather robust growth of algae for only three weeks

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3688.jpeg
This is normal for a new tank.

Time to add a dozen assorted snails and get busy with a toothbrush.

I agree that the rocks are too high.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not ugly at all. That is just getting started. I agree with Tired about your aquascape. You wato create as many little holes and caves as you can to make your tank inhabitants feel safe. Do you have any kind of coralline algae in there yet? It doesn't look like it. Get some cleaning crew (snails, hermit crabs, etc.) They will help with the algae, and you could be lucky enough to get some coralline in on a snail shell. How about copepods? They will help with your biodiversity.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back