Ugly stage

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I pass my ugly stage in my tank? Like bunch of brown algae? It happened before and it was gone afterwards I bought a bubble tip, gsp, and toadstool leather coral and it went back what should I do

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will I pass my ugly stage in my tank? Like bunch of brown algae? It happened before and it was gone afterwards I bought a bubble tip, gsp, and toadstool leather coral and it went back what should I do
The ugly stage almost always passes. But it can take a while. I would siphon out algae weekly and do 10% water changes weekly and be as patient as you can be. I would also refrain from adding chemical cures.

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage almost always passes. But it can take a while. I would siphon out algae weekly and do 10% water changes weekly and be as patient as you can be. I would also refrain from adding chemical cures.
I hate chemical cures, okay I will do a 10% water change weekly

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the water change but also do more research on this forum before any more additions. Adding a Nem to a new tank is never a good plan they require established stable tank. Hopefully yours does ok.

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the water change but also do more research on this forum before any more additions. Adding a Nem to a new tank is never a good plan they require established stable tank. Hopefully yours does ok.
They are doing okay, my tank was running for 8 months already but a month ago I decided to upgrade my tank use my rocks and add more marco and did a water change first before transferring them to their new tank, afterwards it’s happening again those brown algae

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and add more marco
There's your answer. Any time you add dry rock, it will go through some of the same stages as a new tank. Basically, your tank had already seen some of the battles for real estate among the different algaes, bacteria, archea, etc, and found an equilibrium. When you introduce new dry rock, that's empty real estate that the microorganisms will again compete over.
We never really rid our systems of diatoms, cyano, etc, so when there's a new opening from adding new rock, nutrient changes, etc, they can pop up again.

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's your answer. Any time you add dry rock, it will go through some of the same stages as a new tank. Basically, your tank had already seen some of the battles for real estate among the different algaes, bacteria, archea, etc, and found an equilibrium. When you introduce new dry rock, that's empty real estate that the microorganisms will again compete over.
We never really rid our systems of diatoms, cyano, etc, so when there's a new opening from adding new rock, nutrient changes, etc, they can pop up again.
So to avoid it, should I water change weekly for 10%? And do you think adding a hermit crabs will they eat those brown algae? My corals and bubble tip are doing fine
Thank you for your answer this lighten me up

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to avoid it, should I water change weekly for 10%? And do you think adding a hermit crabs will they eat those brown algae? My corals and bubble tip are doing fine
Thank you for your answer this lighten me up
You're not going to "avoid it" at this point. Just like any other algae outbreak, manually remove what you can, monitor nutrient levels and address problematic trends, and utilize algae eating cuc/livestock.
The best plan of attack is to determine exactly what kind of algae you have. If it's diatoms, just wait it out... Once the silicate I'm the new rock is exhausted, the diatoms will starve.
Adding additional snails and crabs is fine, depending on what else you have in the tank...

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not going to "avoid it" at this point. Just like any other algae outbreak, manually remove what you can, monitor nutrient levels and address problematic trends, and utilize algae eating cuc/livestock.
The best plan of attack is to determine exactly what kind of algae you have. If it's diatoms, just wait it out... Once the silicate I'm the new rock is exhausted, the diatoms will starve.
Adding additional snails and crabs is fine, depending on what else you have in the tank...
Okay thanks for this!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I just stick to adding live rock when I want to modify my scape...already established microbiome so you don't have to deal with all the ugly stage stuff

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I just stick to adding live rock when I want to modify my scape...already established microbiome so you don't have to deal with all the ugly stage stuff
Good for you. This is not an option for everyone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back