ugly stage

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you have in the tank (any liestock you want to keep alive) or if you can shut off the lights and avoid growth of the uglies that use light.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage will let you know when it is done. It's a good practice to do a weekly water change to replenish elements Ca, Mg, and alkalinity to keep the corals growing and happy. If you have not been running lights it may get worse before it gets better. I set up a tank 3 or 4 months ago and it is still showing some funk on the glass but it seems like each set up will do its own thing to some degree.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing how long should I wait for this ugly stage to be gone and should I make weekly water change?
If you started with dry rock, expect the "uglies" to last 9 months. If they end sooner, think how happy you'll be!

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage will let you know when it is done. It's a good practice to do a weekly water change to replenish elements Ca, Mg, and alkalinity to keep the corals growing and happy. If you have not been running lights it may get worse before it gets better. I set up a tank 3 or 4 months ago and it is still showing some funk on the glass but it seems like each set up will do its own thing to some degree.
Okay for sure will make a weekly water change! Thank you! Anyway this is a breeding tank so I must feed them 5x a day but for now I lessen it twice a day ☹️

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started with dry rock, expect the "uglies" to last 9 months. If they end sooner, think how happy you'll be!
They will automatically be gone soon or should I remove them every time I do a water change weekly? Should I continue feeding 5x a day and weekly water change every Saturday or lessen my feeding up to twice a day and weekly water change? It’s a breeding tank of clownfish and using one sump to all of my water

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will automatically be gone soon or should I remove them every time I do a water change weekly? Should I continue feeding 5x a day and weekly water change every Saturday or lessen my feeding up to twice a day and weekly water change? It’s a breeding tank of clownfish and using one sump to all of my water
For algae and diatoms removal usually helps a bit, but a mature tank is what will help the most. Matters the setup, what size tank, are the clownfish in divided sections, how old are the clownfish, are you running an oversized skimmer?

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For algae and diatoms removal usually helps a bit, but a mature tank is what will help the most. Matters the setup, what size tank, are the clownfish in divided sections, how old are the clownfish, are you running an oversized skimmer?
I have 20 gallon tank divided it into 3 chambers with black acrylic glass and drill it some holes so water will flow all the way to overflow from right and I have a powerhead in the middle so it will help to cycle water, I have a skimmer that can run up to 50 gallon but total of my water is 20-30 gallon that comes with the sump already, but once we transfer home I have a 3 of 10 galon tank I will transfer every pairs and still use my sump and rocks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 gallon tank divided it into 3 chambers with black acrylic glass and drill it some holes so water will flow all the way to overflow from right and I have a powerhead in the middle so it will help to cycle water, I have a skimmer that can run up to 50 gallon but total of my water is 20-30 gallon that comes with the sump already, but once we transfer home I have a 3 of 10 galon tank I will transfer every pairs and still use my sump and rocks
Sounds like a lot of work!
Since your tank (soon to be tanks) is different from what most folks have with respect to feeding, etc, I would expect you'll need to do more maintenance regardless. If you're able to run a refugium that will likely help with taking up some of the extra nutritients. A good cuc (including pods) is also a must! Good luck :)

OP
OP
R

RedipsNam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot of work!
Since your tank (soon to be tanks) is different from what most folks have with respect to feeding, etc, I would expect you'll need to do more maintenance regardless. If you're able to run a refugium that will likely help with taking up some of the extra nutritients. A good cuc (including pods) is also a must! Good luck :)
yeah a lot of work for me especially when transferring home, for my sump I'm still looking a long type of 20 gallon so I can put a refugium because I only have 10 gallon sump but wondering if a chaeto reactor can do it? My sump has a skimmer, filter wool, rocks and sand, for cuc I have 2 hermits, and the rest is nassarius snails, so about pods do they clean too? if yes what do they clean? thank you so much!

Last edited:

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back