UK 400G Peninsular Reef & Remote Sump

Dazza0685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while reading up on a lot of builds documented so beautifully on here. There really are some talented reef keepers on here.
As this seems a friendly forum i have decided to make this the home for my new build.

A little history from me, i started this addiction around 3 years ago when i picked up a little 23L fluvial edge from a local couple. I then set about my mission to complete a task list which included every newbie mistake which i have completed fairly successfully.

Needless to say i have a little experience on what not to do, and less experience on what you should do.

My last tank was an 8 x 3 rimless, i had all the enthusiasm for this project when i started and set about getting the system set up just right, until work took off and i rushed the last and most important parts which then led to a series of problems and ultimately led me to shut the tank down.
I had every intention of bringing the 8 ft back to life after a bit of work, however we decided we would like to change the room around that it sits in and most importantly we wanted a peninsular tank. The 8ft was not suitable for this for a few reasons,
1. It was too shallow at only 450mm (18") so wouldn't give the look we liked,
2. All 3 sides were not optiwhite which i much prefer.
3. Maybe most importantly, it wouldn't quite fit!

Here is a picture of the 8ft system in its early days:

With that decided I found a new home for the tank, moved the remaining stock into temporary accommodation and set about designing the new system. There were a number of areas that i knew would need attention that i never got right in the first system: (in no particular order)
  • Auto top off system, i never got around to sorting it out on the last tank, simple but important!
  • Lighting - I tried various things, none of which too successful for various reasons.
  • Better filtration - I suffered with the filter socks not doing their job well, filer floss is my favourite method.
  • More flow, I never got the correct amount of flow in the tank which caused numerous issues.
  • Space! I ran out of space under the tank which led to equipment not being set up. I.e calcium reactor.
  • Consistent water change schedule.
  • Good amount of rock for both filtration and fish health / interaction. I ran with nowhere near enough.
With that covered i knew the best way to achieve what i wanted in terms of the sump setup it would be far easier to have a remote sump, that way i have all the space i need and maintenance is easier.
Luckily i have a building around 7M away from where the tank is to be housed which was perfect, my water change station is already there anyway so its made for the job.

On to the tank. My last 2 tanks have both been made by Aquarium connections here in the UK. Great quality and bulletproof, so there were no questions where it was coming from. As we knew it was set to be a peninsular this governed the maximum length of 7ft, so this left width and height, I have always loved wide tanks as i like a natural look to the way the fish can interact with their surroundings. I have always been governed by maintenance and reaching the back of the tank, since i can reach both sides of this one, 4 ft is where we settled and for height it had to be deep enough to view through sensibly so i went for just over 2ft.
For this who don't want to read my essay its 2100 x 1200 x 650 (7' x 4' x 2') - 3 sides optiwhite, 15mm glass with one piece 15mm laser cut brace.
I have also opted to go for a closed loop system for the first time, which i will supplement with powerbeads where needed.

I have a few ideas on the stand, but due to holdups with materials i cannot make it yet! So the tank currently sits in my front room gathering dust on its moving trolley.

Im afraid i have no ambition this time around to move fast on this project so anyone who is interested may have to wait a while for the tank to be running, i will however try to keep the thread updated.

Here is a photo of the tank in its temporary home. (For size reference that cat is large and weighs over 6kg)

If your still with me, thanks for reading.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding!!!
Welcome to r2r!!!

OP
OP
Dazza0685

Dazza0685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to write up the equipment list:

Lighting : 2 x ATI Sumpower dimmable 6 x 80W pendants - these may well be changed in future but should suffice in the early days.
Skimmer : BubbleKing Deluxe 300 - With Rd3 pump.
Return Pump : Royal Exclusiv - RD3 230w.
Closed Loop Pump : Royal Exclusiv - RD3 230w.
Filtration: 2 x Theiling Rollermats running into a secondary filter floss tank, then on to the sump.
Control: Neptune Apex with PM1, PM2 & 2 Energy bars.
Heating : 2 x Schego 250w titanium heaters & Titanium heat exchanger linked to our pellet stove - Controlled by apex.
Supplementation - Dastaco Calcium reactor - 800L version ( this will get upgraded in the future).

Thats it so far. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dazza0685

Dazza0685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also want to mention, currently i am using the Aquaforest probiotic method on the tank which is holding my SPS. I like the simplicity so for the time being i hope to continue with that.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and I'm excited to see this come to life!

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following along. Want to get your opinion on the Rollermats and Dastaco and Aquaforest.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a happy cat

OP
OP
Dazza0685

Dazza0685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments.

I have made a tiny amount of progress, a few of my plumbing items arrived so i have made a rough start to the closed loop system. As you can see from the picture there is 1x 40mm feed pipe and 6 x 25mm returns. I hope I can split the single return to the 6 without favouring some outlets too much more than others.
The original design was to have a Derkroon FWX diverter, but after reading about many problems i opted for a safer approach, however the tank was already drilled by this point.
Hopefully some more of the plumbing will arrive this week and i will finish the wet side of the CL.

Thanks for looking.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm excited to follow your build! I love me some clean plumbing!!

On the closed loop, if you separately valve each return line you should be able to control the flow to each pretty easily. That's what I've done on my build and it works well. Obviously, the back pressure will be greatest on those with the longest run. I leave those wide open and valve down the shorter runs. And great choice for the closed loop pump, the RD3 230s are dead silent and very powerful. I am running two of them for my closed loop and could easily get away with just one.

I also have a long run from my tank to the sump in a separate room. Mine is 30 feet away. I love the extra room for all of the gear and keeping the noise out of the house. The only drawback is tuning the drain line so the overflow is silent. Once I went with a DC pump, the tuning got much easier. What size drain line will you be running? 40MM?

OP
OP
Dazza0685

Dazza0685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to follow your build! I love me some clean plumbing!!

On the closed loop, if you separately valve each return line you should be able to control the flow to each pretty easily. That's what I've done on my build and it works well. Obviously, the back pressure will be greatest on those with the longest run. I leave those wide open and valve down the shorter runs. And great choice for the closed loop pump, the RD3 230s are dead silent and very powerful. I am running two of them for my closed loop and could easily get away with just one.

I also have a long run from my tank to the sump in a separate room. Mine is 30 feet away. I love the extra room for all of the gear and keeping the noise out of the house. The only drawback is tuning the drain line so the overflow is silent. Once I went with a DC pump, the tuning got much easier. What size drain line will you be running? 40MM?

Hi.

Thanks for the info. That is indeed what i plan to do as all return lines will need valves anyway for isolation. Glad to hear you are running the same pumps as me and they are working well, i chose them as i have used RD3 pumps for a while now and love how quiet and efficient they are.

As for the drains i am running 2 x 40mm drains & 1 x 40mm Emergency, I always plumb my tanks in this way, it never fails and gives me peace of mind. As for tuning I use a Georg Fischer diaphragm valve which allows for full control, I basically have a ball valve on 1 drain which i can tune the flow to 95% of what i need, then tune it perfectly with the diaphragm valve.

Thanks

OP
OP
Dazza0685

Dazza0685

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I have finished the projects which were hogging my workshop and i have started to build the stand which will hold this tank. I knew from the start we wanted something different than the normal types of stand, partially due to the fact there was to be no sump underneath, also partially due to the fact it will be splitting the room in half. I wanted something which would look nice yet not draw your eyes away from the tank, so this is what i am working on..
It is made from solid oak beams, fully dried to avoid too much movement
150mm x 150mm legs, 100mm x 100mm top beams and 75mm x 75mm bottom beams all joined by mortice & tenon joints for strength. This is the first time working with this type of joinery but I'm happy with the results so far.

The stand in 'kit form' :

Mortice on the centre leg:

General test fitting:

Starting the glue up:

Thats as far as i have got with it, I will continue the glue up of the end frames tomorrow. Due to the weight of the stand (around 300KG) the final glue up will take place when i clear the space where the tank will sit, however i need to lift the floor to make reinforcements before that can happen.

Thanks for looking.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somebody has some wood working skills! :D

Great job so far!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back