Ultra low Nutrient Tank Solution?

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extremely low nutrient system. My phosphates are .01 and my nitrates are 2. This has lead to some stn issues in my acros and something I can only call a biofilm. I set my system up to be ultra low nutrient. It’s working. Now I’m learning how to manage the water. I’m exploring Tropic Marin NP Plus and NP Bacto Balance. NP Plus would slightly increase phosphate and nitrate and NP Bacto Balance would then maintain that. Has anyone used this in these circumstances and would mind discussing your experiences, pros/cons?

I run a UV, algae reactor, GFO, Ozone, and skimmer with automatic water changes. Parameters are all very stable within appropriate ranges. My working theory on the issues I’m facing is because I have reduced the good bacteria too much, throwing things out of whack and causing the biofilm and STN. I do have an ICP water test coming. But I believe I’m on the right track with the Tropic Marin products I’ve recently learned about.

Thoughts?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just ask why run a system in that manner? Just curious is all. Not being smart or anything

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try minimizing your nutrient export and allow your nitrates and phosphates to rise.

If you're running your algae scrubber 24/7, cut it back. Stop GFO or cut it back.

What's the reasoning for the ulns? Preference? Many sps dominant tanks thrive at higher than recommended nutrients.

Consider that what people recommend on this site is geared towards the new hobbyist that would probably benefit from low nutrients, but there eventually needs to be a transition so that you aren't starving your corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be easier to feed more or dose a little N and P to up the levels, as opposed to switching to the set of TM products in the hope they will get you where you want to go, but they might work out.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be easier to feed more or dose a little N and P to up the levels, as opposed to switching to the set of TM products in the hope they will get you where you want to go, but they might work out.
I am a huge proponent for the TM line, and I would still have to agree with Randy here.

I think its a good long term way to balance and drive your nutrients, but raising with Plus NP you are putting a lot of trust in them. It definitely seems to work, but you can't really measure nitrogen from it, and even I just ended up supplementing ammonia along with it anyway. Upping the import by manor of feeding if able is the best.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been talking to a lot of people on this one. I am considering several options that have been recommended about turning off pieces of equipment at different times/durations. I plan to experiment (Isn't that what got me into this?). I don't run the algae scrubber 24/7. It runs opposite light cycle. I do run the GFO 24/7. So both of these pieces of the system offer some wiggle room as a way to manipulate phosphate and nitrate. I finally had a chance to speak to some local colleagues that also run ULN systems that have run into my same issue with this 'stuff'. After showing them my video of this 'stuff', they spoke about their success with the Tropic Marin (with a quick disclaimer to be careful not to overdose). But did speak highly about it once they found the right dose for their system. I spoke to Avast Marine, the manufacturer of the ozone reactor. They, too, have encountered this 'stuff' and recommended TM NP Bacto Balance. I've been doing my research on that product. So I feel like I have a much better understanding on what it is I'm facing and you guys have given me several good ideas on a plan of attack. I appreciate everyone's input.

As a side note, the tank has settled down a lot since my last post. The biofilm seems to be disappearing. I've had two people tell me it usually will run its course over about 30 days, consume its fuel source and then disappear. Makes total sense and appears to be what's occurring now. I've also aggressively attacked it with scrubbing and blowing off the rocks to see if that helps. It appears to have. So I think me removing the dose of Microbacter7 and Dr. Tims Waste Away was the correct, initial approach. As a bit of lagniappe, my light coating of diatoms in certain areas around the substrate has also diminished. Again, I think I've got a much better understanding of things.

As always, appreciate the back and forth with everyone. Thanks for taking the time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back