Ultra Reef Akula Skimmer Review

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any complaints now that a year has gone by? Are you still using this?

I’m spec’ing out how much money I need to build my next tank, a Cade 600 60 gallon cube and I’m considering this skimmer. Was looking at the Nyos 120, but I’ve only seen good reviews on this one and I’ve seen some negatives on the Nyos.
Happy to help if you need help. We are the US & Canadian distributor.

OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any complaints now that a year has gone by? Are you still using this?

I’m spec’ing out how much money I need to build my next tank, a Cade 600 60 gallon cube and I’m considering this skimmer. Was looking at the Nyos 120, but I’ve only seen good reviews on this one and I’ve seen some negatives on the Nyos.
Absolutely ZERO issues. Works flawlessly. I’ve adjusted it twice. First on my 75g and now on my overly stocked 35g and I’ll use it again on the new 80g system I’m building. Things a tank! 100% buy from Aquarium Specialty. They are the first to believe in the brand and bring it to the USA. Amazing support from those guys.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad I found this review. I have been planning on getting an Ultra Reef skimmer for my new build for a while. I will be getting the Typhoon 200 for my 250g Peninsula. I will also have a filter roller and Algae Turf Scrubber so I don't want to oversize the skimmer.

OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this review. I have been planning on getting an Ultra Reef skimmer for my new build for a while. I will be getting the Typhoon 200 for my 250g Peninsula. I will also have a filter roller and Algae Turf Scrubber so I don't want to oversize the skimmer.
You will not be disappointed. Quality is amazing!

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you see they make an algae scrubber too? I have never heard of anyone using it, but they have it on aquarium specialty. Might be worth checking out if you’re into matching equipment.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI...I just noticed that someone goofed up our inventory on this item and it was showing as out of stock on our site. We have 8 of these and they are on sale.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really a chaeto reactor I believe
The reactor you are referring to is the Modula Reactor. It was a 3 in 1 (zeolite, cheat, media) we were hoping to add to our offering from Ultra Reef but they decided not to mass produce them. The design was awesome but their reactor was probably going to be a good bit more expensive than almost every other brand. For that reason they decided to stop producing them. But...we will have about 10 of these coming in by the end of March or the beginning of April.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI...I just noticed that someone goofed up our inventory on this item and it was showing as out of stock on our site. We have 8 of these and they are on sale.

Just ordered one! First time customer with you guys, but your offer for free swag and customer service on here sold me. I figured I can save my BRS reward points for something else.

Slight problem though - I didn't see a place during checkout where to comment about the swag like the instructions state. I wanted to put a comment for a medium t-shirt or a reef2reef towel but I couldn't find the notes section.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered one! First time customer with you guys, but your offer for free swag and customer service on here sold me. I figured I can save my BRS reward points for something else.

Slight problem though - I didn't see a place during checkout where to comment about the swag like the instructions state. I wanted to put a comment for a medium t-shirt or a reef2reef towel but I couldn't find the notes section.
Many thanks for supporting our small business. I added a note to the paperwork to have a medium shirt included. FYI, you will get 5 times rewards for this order also.

As it relates to the comment section, I have informed our web developers about this. I'm thinking they forgot to bring this over when we updated to the latest version of our e-commerce platform. Thank you for pointing it out! Our site is very complex and it's about two get even more complex but with newl features that we are very excited about.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I really appreciate the personalized customer service. Good call on being a Reef2Reef sponsor, I wouldn’t have known about you guys otherwise.

Next purchase is going to be a return pump so those reward points will come in handy.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I really appreciate the personalized customer service. Good call on being a Reef2Reef sponsor, I wouldn’t have known about you guys otherwise.

Next purchase is going to be a return pump so those reward points will come in handy.
Much appreciated. We are coming up on year 17 of being in business and I've been in the saltwater hobby since 1988 (dating myself :). If you even need any help then let me know.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I received my Ultra Reef UKS-160 today in the mail (along with my free @AquariumSpecialty shirt - THANKS!). Man, this thing is a beast! It is built like tank and you can really tell the craftsmanship is top notch.

I don't have a tank big enough to test it just yet, but hopefully that'll change in the coming months. I'll be sure to post a review of it once it sees the water. For now, here is a picture of it next to a 5 gallon bucket for scale:

Attachments

• Akula Skimmer.jpg
    Akula Skimmer.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 169

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Ultra Reef UKS-160 today in the mail (along with my free @AquariumSpecialty shirt - THANKS!). Man, this thing is a beast! It is built like tank and you can really tell the craftsmanship is top notch.

I don't have a tank big enough to test it just yet, but hopefully that'll change in the coming months. I'll be sure to post a review of it once it sees the water. For now, here is a picture of it next to a 5 gallon bucket for scale:
Looking good. Get that thing running . By the way, our web developers have the website checkout comment box working again. Thanks for the heads up on that.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about Akula UKS-200 on a 155 gallon display tank, 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank, RedSea Reefmat 1200, and a future 40 gallon or so refugium? Mostly soft corals and fish. I hear that if you have a Reefmat and refugium that you don't need as big of a skimmer on the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back