Ultra Reef Akula Skimmer Review

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned most high end skimmers that have been on the market the last five years (Bubble King, Deltec, Nyos, Reef Octopus) and today I want to talk about one that is sort of new to the USA but is a reputable name overseas I believe from Italy.

Enter the Ultra Reef’s Akula UKS skimmer (I have the 160 version).

First impressions:

- In the box I thought the body was glass. The acrylic is so nice and clear and when tapped with the finger almost felt like glass.

-Super simple assembly.

-Very robust rubber feet to absorb vibration.

-Titanium screws
-Very thick material; dead on if not better than Bubble King.

- Sicce PSK+ series pump; proven performance affordable cost of replacement. I love the Royal Exclusiv RD3 but it’s a big financial hit if it needs replacement. Which they usually don’t.

-Air adjustment screw on silencer. This should be standard on all skimmers to hone in the foam, especially on AC pump skimmers.

-DEAD SILENT. I can not hear it at all. The noise in my video is the overflow.

- Zero break in, immediately started skimming.

- Very fine adjustments can be made for precise level in the skimmer.

-Uses a gasket on the collection cup rather than a twist lock or O ring. O rings tend to wear quickly when being constantly removed from their seat and the twist lock on the Nyos has developed a reputation for almost welding itself on.

449EFED3-420B-40DF-A2C7-558E238DF91F.jpeg image.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice skimmer, can they be purchased in the states or do you have to ship them from Europe? What size tank you have it on?

OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice skimmer, can they be purchased in the states or do you have to ship them from Europe? What size tank you have it on?
Aquarium Specialty retails them in the US and I believe is also their US support for now. I got mine two days after ordering. This one is on a 75g display and is rated up to 135. They make them for all size tanks. Prices stay reasonable too.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please feel free to chime in or give us a call if you have any questions about the product line. I have 2 of their skimmers running in our coral farm and they are out performing anything we have used prior. Once the next shipment arrives I'm going to setup their chaeto reactor. A customer bought one from us a couple of months ago and this is what he has to say about it...

"The sleek Italian designed Ultra Reef UAF-003 will perform like a Ferrari in your aquarium’s sump. Manufactured with the finest materials and machined with excellent detailed machining. If you want a clean compact highly functionable algae scrubber in your sump versus loose Chaetomorpha (Chaeto) clogging everything in your sump look no further. The pump brings a column of water through the high-grade PVC tube that houses your algae and flows out the top of the unit back down into the sump meaning this unit has very few moving parts. The lights are an LED strip housed inside an easy to clean clear tube in centered in the large outside tube so the “night-glow” from the sump and cabinet are at a minimum. Of the numerous advantages of the Ultra Reef UAF-003 most notability I was drawn toward its quality and simplicity. It does offer the added bonus of allowing those of us with smaller sumps in our reef tanks a housing that can accommodate more uniformly growing Chaeto than we’d be afforded in a more traditional refugium set up. Making Ultra Reefs Algae scrubber a beast among comparable aquarium filtration devices."

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You wont be disappointed.
I have owned one for many years and a real good skimmer if not the best for the money.
Another thing is they come completely apart, even the neck comes out of the skimmer cup.
So easy to clean. They are very stable too compared to most skimmers.
I broke mine during cleaning in Nov/Dec and getting parts is pita right now.

Last edited:

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned one for many years and a real good skimmer if not the best for the money.
Another thing is they come completely apart, even the neck comes out of the skimmer cup.
So easy to clean.
I broke mine during cleaning in Nov/Dec and getting parts is pita right now.
Your replacement parts are on the ocean freight shipment along with a bunch of skimmers and reactors from Ultra Reef. You could have requested air service for the part but that would have been more for shipping. The shipment is about to leave the factory and we expect to have everything by the 2nd week of March if all goes as expected.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your replacement parts are on the ocean freight shipment along with a bunch of skimmers and reactors from Ultra Reef. You could have requested air service for the part but that would have been more for shipping. The shipment is about to leave the factory and we expect to have everything by the 2nd week of March if all goes as expected.
Seems Covid has everything messed up. I am having a issue getting a part for my smoker too.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What makes this a better skimmer than any of the many skimmers that use the same Sicce needle wheel pump? It's obvious it's better craftmanship and quality of materials but I'm talking specifically about performance.

I'm willing to pay for better performance but am I really going see a difference in final waste production? For example will my Po4 and N03 levels go down? It's the only way I'd be able to tell in comparison to what I use now.

I very seldom see any one-one shootouts or comparisons anymore like used to be done years ago.

If I'm going to pay $300 more for a skimmer that has the same design & pump but in a diffferent piece of plastic I expect better performance.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What makes this a better skimmer than any of the many skimmers that use the same Sicce needle wheel pump? It's obvious it's better craftmanship and quality of materials but I'm talking specifically about performance.

I'm willing to pay for better performance but am I really going see a difference in final waste production? For example will my Po4 and N03 levels go down? It's the only way I'd be able to tell in comparison to what I use now.

I very seldom see any one-one shootouts or comparisons anymore like used to be done years ago.

If I'm going to pay $300 more for a skimmer that has the same design & pump but in a diffferent piece of plastic I expect better performance.

There is a ton of things that makes one skimmer better than others with the same pump.
Design and shape of the body. Design of the needle wheel, design of volute, design of venturi, size of the body, amount of air, size of neck and the amount of air etc.. Even some think materials can make a difference.

Some companies will heavily modify pumps while others do not. Look at what Bubbleking does to the laguna pumps. ATB used to modify the Sicce pumps heavily.

One of the biggest debates in history of skimmers was which body design was the best. This is when ATB started to get big in the U.S. and it was widely thought that cone design is the best and debated heavily. I tend to agree. Having the right size body is important too.

Volute design determines amount of water input and how the air starts to mix with water.

Venturi design affects the amount of air that can be drawn in.

Proper air/water mixture.

Needle wheels design.

I mean ATB used sicce back in the day and heavily modified it.

Size of the neck for example is huge. To big compared to the amount of air and the foam never makes it up the neck or sits there and dumps a bunch of gunk in the neck with little making it into the cup. Too small and it will easily over flows or watery skimmate. I really like the way Aquamaxx uses a neck that is cone shaped. This forces the skimmate together forcing it up and out. With most necks the skimmate just rises up and falls back on itself. But they are one of the most cheaply built skimmers out there but do perform ok.

I have had skimmers with the same pump where one overflowed constantly while another didn't because of balance.

To many skimmer companies will just build a skimmer out of standard acrylic sizes and standard pumps without any thought to design. This is the problem with allot of cheaper skimmers. Do not think all skimmers are the same with the same pump. Engineering makes a difference because balance is what makes a skimmer great.

One thing about this skimmer is it comes a part easily and completely. This means you will cleaning it more helping performance too. I have allot of skimmers and some have plastic screws that strip, some have bolts hard to gt at etc.

I have tested skimmers and done it for some equipment manufacturers and there are differences.

I have different skimmer I recommend by category over the years. Best for the money is where I put this one in. It has moved up in price some though probably due to shipping and covid, so now it is at that edge. I used to recommend RLSS skimmers for that category. Ultra Reefs are better built. RLSS was having issues but looks like they might be getting thing turned back around. I guess owner had personal issues and would be interesting to see how they stack up now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First thing to note is this uses the Sicce + pump. I’m not aware of any other skimmers using that pump so it has an edge better in performance than the standard.

The foam head has been absolutely consistent which shows the tuning has been dialed in and remained constant. A lot of skimmers require constant fiddling.
There are loads of cheaper skimmers on the market that skim just as well I’m sure but I bought in for the build quality and features as well.

Skimmers only remove roughly 30% of dissolved organics per some studies I’ve read so they aren’t the end all be all to nutrient export.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM Lagoon 25 ext, and I am having issue's getting a skimmer in the sump below, there is not much room, so the skimmer has to have the pump inside, I know it is tough to skim a small tank, and the smallest unit here is pricey, somewhere in the range of 300, has anyone used this skimmer?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a ton of things that makes one skimmer better than others with the same pump.
Design and shape of the body. Design of the needle wheel, design of volute, design of venturi, size of the body, amount of air, size of neck and the amount of air etc.. Even some think materials can make a difference.

Some companies will heavily modify pumps while others do not. Look at what Bubbleking does to the laguna pumps. ATB used to modify the Sicce pumps heavily.

One of the biggest debates in history of skimmers was which body design was the best. This is when ATB started to get big in the U.S. and it was widely thought that cone design is the best and debated heavily. I tend to agree. Having the right size body is important too.

Volute design determines amount of water input and how the air starts to mix with water.

Venturi design affects the amount of air that can be drawn in.

Proper air/water mixture.

Needle wheels design.

I mean ATB used sicce back in the day and heavily modified it.

Size of the neck for example is huge. To big compared to the amount of air and the foam never makes it up the neck or sits there and dumps a bunch of gunk in the neck with little making it into the cup. Too small and it will easily over flows or watery skimmate. I really like the way Aquamaxx uses a neck that is cone shaped. This forces the skimmate together forcing it up and out. With most necks the skimmate just rises up and falls back on itself. But they are one of the most cheaply built skimmers out there but do perform ok.

I have had skimmers with the same pump where one overflowed constantly while another didn't because of balance.

To many skimmer companies will just build a skimmer out of standard acrylic sizes and standard pumps without any thought to design. This is the problem with allot of cheaper skimmers. Do not think all skimmers are the same with the same pump. Engineering makes a difference because balance is what makes a skimmer great.

One thing about this skimmer is it comes a part easily and completely. This means you will cleaning it more helping performance too. I have allot of skimmers and some have plastic screws that strip, some have bolts hard to gt at etc.

I have tested skimmers and done it for some equipment manufacturers and there are differences.

I have different skimmer I recommend by category over the years. Best for the money is where I put this one in. It has moved up in price some though probably due to shipping and covid, so now it is at that edge. I used to recommend RLSS skimmers for that category. Ultra Reefs are better built. RLSS was having issues but looks like they might be getting thing turned back around. I guess owner had personal issues and would be interesting to see how they stack up now.

I know you have been through it all over the years and I respect your knowledge on all this, but the proof is actually using them is doing actual comparisons on performance. Otherwise it's just all hot air from manufacturers.

I've seen and lived through all the actual designs as you have over the past 20 years but haven't had the inclination to dig deep. I own a Amaxx Cone S 3(almost bought an RLSS at the time) and I doubt the Ultrareef that is comparable would offer much more for me in performance than my Amaxx. Of course it's made of cheap plastic but it has a Sicce pump modified and it comes completely apart for cleaning. And, lets face it, the thing just sits in a sump. I could care less about quality plastic. It's done a nice job the past 7 years. I could count on one hand the number of overflows it had over the years and that was always because something I put in the system. If I could find something that actually out performs it I would be fine paying more.

These internal skimmers were designed to fit nicely under cabinents and why smaller needle wheels became popular along with silence and maybe some electrical usage rates more than anything

My old AP 702 would crap all over these single pump internals from a performance aspect. I stopped using Deltecs years ago due to the price for replacement parts.

I want to be able to measure actual performance........or see it on my system in actual nutrient reduction.

OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have been through it all over the years and I respect your knowledge on all this, but the proof is actually using them is doing actual comparisons on performance. Otherwise it's just all hot air from manufacturers.

I've seen and lived through all the actual designs as you have over the past 20 years but haven't had the inclination to dig deep. I own a Amaxx Cone S 3(almost bought an RLSS at the time) and I doubt the Ultrareef that is comparable would offer much more for me in performance than my Amaxx. Of course it's made of cheap plastic but it has a Sicce pump modified and it comes completely apart for cleaning. And, lets face it, the thing just sits in a sump. I could care less about quality plastic. It's done a nice job the past 7 years. I could count on one hand the number of overflows it had over the years and that was always because something I put in the system. If I could find something that actually out performs it I would be fine paying more.

These internal skimmers were designed to fit nicely under cabinents and why smaller needle wheels became popular along with silence and maybe some electrical usage rates more than anything

My old AP 702 would crap all over these single pump internals from a performance aspect. I stopped using Deltecs years ago due to the price for replacement parts.

I want to be able to measure actual performance........or see it on my system in actual nutrient reduction.
You would need BRS to setup and test skimmers for that kind of results. I’m just laying out here that out of all of the skimmers I’ve used that this has been the most consistent in skimming. Consistency equals better nutrient export. Yes build quality matters to me. The fine tuning of the air intake matters to me to dial in the foam better than just running wide open and the foam head popping before the waste gets expunged.

When I was doing budget reefing Aquamaxx was a fine brand. But as I’ve been able to afford higher end equipment I’ve been able to notice, feel, and utilize some of the nicer features that come with it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why Tunze skimmers are not as popular as they should be.
They do not use thick acrylic so many think they are substandard.
I would not run anything else.
The main reason is performance.
I set mine up 20 months ago and have never needed to adjust it.
It pulls heavy black skim.
The cup is the easiest one to remove and you do not need to turn it off to clean it.
Has anti overflow built in.
You can work in the tank, glue frags, with no issues.

The Akula is a very nice looking skimmer I must admit.
I still do not get the skimmer inide the unit. I get it saves space.

OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why Tunze skimmers are not as popular as they should be.
They do not use thick acrylic so many think they are substandard.
I would not run anything else.
The main reason is performance.
I set mine up 20 months ago and have never needed to adjust it.
It pulls heavy black skim.
The cup is the easiest one to remove and you do not need to turn it off to clean it.
Has anti overflow built in.
You can work in the tank, glue frags, with no issues.

The Akula is a very nice looking skimmer I must admit.
I still do not get the skimmer inide the unit. I get it saves space.
I’m not sure why the Tunze doesn’t have more of a following. I’ve personally had awful luck with their products but I still believe they are a good brand.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure why the Tunze doesn’t have more of a following. I’ve personally had awful luck with their products but I still believe they are a good brand.
What do you mean by awful luck with their products?
Only reason I ask is I run mostly Tunze in my 120.
Skimmer
Carx
4 powerheads
Return pump
Ato
Small sump powerhead.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would need BRS to setup and test skimmers for that kind of results. I’m just laying out here that out of all of the skimmers I’ve used that this has been the most consistent in skimming. Consistency equals better nutrient export. Yes build quality matters to me. The fine tuning of the air intake matters to me to dial in the foam better than just running wide open and the foam head popping before the waste gets expunged.

When I was doing budget reefing Aquamaxx was a fine brand. But as I’ve been able to afford higher end equipment I’ve been able to notice, feel, and utilize some of the nicer features that come with it.

I don't doubt you or your review and I appreciate your post, but these out of the box reviews don't tell me much other than it's built well and works good so far. I found this thread when I was searching on Ultrareef skimmers because I heard good things about them. As I looked at your review there was nothing really new or groundbreaking about the skimmer.

Let me know if it drops your P04 and No3 levels in a few months. Can it run as the only export tool on a dominated Sps system? These are the kind of things I'm interested in and looking for.

I can put an air valve on my Amaxx if I wanted to make adjustments, but there is no need as they have engineered the product so you don't have to do that.

I'm here because I'm looking for a skimmer that will out perform what I have, not to debate your initial experience, so don't get me wrong in thinking I'm trashing the Ultrareef. It's just gets frustrating to see the same basic details but inside a different tube of plastic.
---------------------------------------------------------------

On one point-------------to all out there. Stop with the 30% reduction based off one test on a couple of skimmers. This dead horse has been beaten to a pulp I've heard it so many times.

Ever think you don't want it to take everything out and starve your corals?

I've had skimmer only systems that could control nutrient levels in check on their own. It's just harder to find these types now because these compact needle wheel skimmers that fit nicely under a tank can't get it done.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am going to have to disagree some here. I own two AquaMaxx ConeS and as matter of fact till I get the part for my Ultrareef skimmer a AquaMaxx ConeS is replacing it. The ConeS is actually the skimmer that I recommend for those who want to go cheap. They perform well for the price but they are not on the same level as the Ultareef. The cheap little acrylic tube venturi plugs up with calcium deposits way to fast and causes issue. It makes the skimmer less stable and as it clogs quicker affects performance quicker. I had to add a Autoaqua skimmer security to my ConeS because if I did not clean the venturi often enough it overflows. I could go triple the time on my Ultrareef before cleaning. I realise now that I just need to clean it more but I was used to going allot longer as I do with most of my other skimmers. I just usually pull apart all my skimmers at the same time and clean them all at once but the ConeS needs to be done more often.

Aquamaxx is not a bad skimmer by any means but there is defiantly a difference.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve owned most high end skimmers that have been on the market the last five years (Bubble King, Deltec, Nyos, Reef Octopus) and today I want to talk about one that is sort of new to the USA but is a reputable name overseas I believe from Italy.

Enter the Ultra Reef’s Akula UKS skimmer (I have the 160 version).

First impressions:

- In the box I thought the body was glass. The acrylic is so nice and clear and when tapped with the finger almost felt like glass.

-Super simple assembly.

-Very robust rubber feet to absorb vibration.

-Titanium screws
-Very thick material; dead on if not better than Bubble King.

- Sicce PSK+ series pump; proven performance affordable cost of replacement. I love the Royal Exclusiv RD3 but it’s a big financial hit if it needs replacement. Which they usually don’t.

-Air adjustment screw on silencer. This should be standard on all skimmers to hone in the foam, especially on AC pump skimmers.

-DEAD SILENT. I can not hear it at all. The noise in my video is the overflow.

- Zero break in, immediately started skimming.

- Very fine adjustments can be made for precise level in the skimmer.

-Uses a gasket on the collection cup rather than a twist lock or O ring. O rings tend to wear quickly when being constantly removed from their seat and the twist lock on the Nyos has developed a reputation for almost welding itself on.

449EFED3-420B-40DF-A2C7-558E238DF91F.jpeg image.jpg
Any complaints now that a year has gone by? Are you still using this?

I’m spec’ing out how much money I need to build my next tank, a Cade 600 60 gallon cube and I’m considering this skimmer. Was looking at the Nyos 120, but I’ve only seen good reviews on this one and I’ve seen some negatives on the Nyos.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back