Ultra Reef skimmer setup help

m.kristoff

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Messages
826
Reaction score
335
Location
cleveland
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am trying to dial in my new Ultra Reef Typhoon 200. Not finding a lot of posts for setup

Current setup
I have it in about 8.5" of water.
DC pump is running about 53%.
I am consistently getting more of a tea color skim. I am looking for more of a medium skim.
I'm getting an organic ring at the top of the cup. Should I increase the air to push it over or increase the water level.

tank is established and almost 2 years old.

What internal water level should the inside the skimmer to start with? What pump setting (range) for best results. I know that is more based on organics but I'm looking for a solid set point.
 
I don't have an Ultra Reef, but if you want darker skim you typically need to adjust the water level in the skimmer down so it's not foaming up as high in the neck (water not air).
that would seem to be the case, but i end up with an organic ring at the top of the cup and it wont push over
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new