Ultum Nature Systems stand- Great build quality

Kilman805

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
152
Reaction score
140
Location
Santa Barbara, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting started building a saltwater tank after many years of freshwater tanks. I decided on a Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon tank and originally planned on using the matching Fluval stand too. But after two shipping mishaps with the Fluval stand, I had to find another option. The Fluval stand is packaged very poorly and is easily damaged in shipping. Frankly, its overall quality is pretty poor too. It's all vinyl covered particle board that you assemble with those screw-in pegs and twist-to-lock fasteners, like Ikea furniture.

As I looked for alternatives, the Ultum Nature Systems stands caught my eye. But I found it difficult to find much detailed information or photos despite positive overall comments. I live about 3 hours from the nearest dealer, so I took a chance and drove down to check it out and ended up buying it. I'm really happy with the build quality and appearance of the stand. It's a night and day difference from the Fluval one. It's not solid wood, but it's not particle board either. It appears to be all solid core cabinet grade plywood faced with thick wood veneer. The top, sides, and doors are all roughly 3/4" thick and the bottom inside floor is 1/2". Everything is very neatly built and the finish is very nice. My only minor complaint is that I wish it had leveling feet instead of the ones pictured.

This specific model is the 90P in "natural" finish. The top is a few inches larger than the Fluval Flex tank in both width and depth. The quality doesn't come cheap. It was $650 versus the $300 Fluval stand, but for me, having an attractive stand and peace of mind that it won't collapse is worth it.

I'll start a proper build thread soon, but I hope this helps someone.

UNS-front.jpg UNS-inside.jpg UNS-base.jpg UNS-detail.jpg
 
I added leveling feet to the stand. The floor isn't even close to level and the stand was rocking on the stock bumper feet. I'm glad I checked in advance.

I ordered these: Furniture Leveler PTFE (Teflon) Bottom (20mm Base 1/4-20x1", 8 Pack)

They installed easily. You drill a 3/8" hole ~1" deep, screw the threaded insert into the hole, then screw the leg into the insert. I recommend a 3/8" Forstner bit, and you also need a 6 mm hex key and 10 mm open end wrench.

unnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg
 
Beautiful stand and I also love UNS tanks and stands. I really wish other companies would make wood grain stands!
 
I added leveling feet to the stand. The floor isn't even close to level and the stand was rocking on the stock bumper feet. I'm glad I checked in advance.

I ordered these: Furniture Leveler PTFE (Teflon) Bottom (20mm Base 1/4-20x1", 8 Pack)

They installed easily. You drill a 3/8" hole ~1" deep, screw the threaded insert into the hole, then screw the leg into the insert. I recommend a 3/8" Forstner bit, and you also need a 6 mm hex key and 10 mm open end wrench.

unnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg
Love this. UNS will hopefully include these in the future at the cost range of their stands @UNS_Parker
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new