Ulva is dark and dying??

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Im a bit new still to reef keeping and I had a query about my ulva macro algae. I have a 18 gallon tank with a torch coral and a few snails - no fish, as my two clowns died in my hospital tank a few days ago :( due to ammonia spike. My issue with macro algae is that is seems quite dark and gets brown on the edges and is kinda dying. I use coral pro salt, but I do have a pretty basic light from amazon that seems good enough for my happy torch, but maybe not the ulva? its done a good job in keeping my nitrates down but its no use if its dead obviously. Im thinking of purchasing a proper reef light to fix it. I have another sample of ulva in a cup, just with coral salt water which sits in the sun and that seems to be doing much better.

Im pretty upset about the death of my fish, so I dont think ill be purchasing a new pair for another couple months, just let the aquarium stabilise, but I still get to feed my coral so some nitrates should be present. Dampens your confidence when they die, even when you tried everything :(

Thanks guys

tempImageoQEQY8.png

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will perish without sufficient nutrients to keep it alive. Sounds as you do not have enough life in there to create enough Nitrates and/or phosphates. It can be a struggle to keep macroalgae alive or thriving on a less mature system. If you could give us more info that would help.

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will perish without sufficient nutrients to keep it alive. Sounds as you do not have enough life in there to create enough Nitrates and/or phosphates. It can be a struggle to keep macroalgae alive or thriving on a less mature system. If you could give us more info that would help.
Yeah its only about 4 months old, my nitrates are about 5. I did end up purchasing that light, and im gonna add some more euphyllias so that should increase nutrients. Hopefully all that will help.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I find that phase of a system maturing with the cool macro algae growing the most interesting. Usually they all die off as they are outcompeted for nutrient, light and a place to grow.

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I find that phase of a system maturing with the cool macro algae growing the most interesting. Usually they all die off as they are outcompeted for nutrient, light and a place to grow.
Yeah I feel like light is the limiting factor. That other sample which doesn't even have any nitrates or phosphates is doing fine, not growing, but certainly not dying, and its just sitting by the window. Did some reading on PAR for macro algae, so hopefully this new light will fix things up from here.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your clowns and your QT, but please do not loose hope or support for your QT - allow it to mature as well and try again.
Simple lights should be able to support your Ulva, but if you are adding more Euphylia you will need a more advanced light system I think. As said above, tank does need more nutrients and some hermits munching on frozen until you get some hardy fish back in there would help
and keep that QT cycling and part of your process
Good Luck

OP
OP
AnnaG

AnnaG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your clowns and your QT, but please do not loose hope or support for your QT - allow it to mature as well and try again.
Simple lights should be able to support your Ulva, but if you are adding more Euphylia you will need a more advanced light system I think. As said above, tank does need more nutrients and some hermits munching on frozen until you get some hardy fish back in there would help
and keep that QT cycling and part of your process
Good Luck
thank you :) ive been feeding my coral lots, and ill be purchasing a cleaner shrimp too soon, so that should be able to help with nutrients.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back