Ulva lactuca taking over display

painter1982

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2025
Messages
1,287
Reaction score
1,092
Location
82716
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on getting rid of Ulva lactuca? It’s growing on everything in my display that doesnt have coraline already (60g). From top high light areas to bottom low light areas. My yellow tang eats some of it. I have over 20 trochus snails, 5 small turbo snails, 100’s of baby snails, likely trochus. 10 blue leg hermits. A couple of blennies or goby that I’m not sure of (came with live rock). They eat algae.
Phosphate .03 to .08 range dose neophos
Nitrate 4 to 6 range dosing neonitro
Alk 9.0
Salinity 35ppt
Calcium 440
Mag ? Was good last icp test.
I dose AFR daily 57mg
I have sps coral that are growing good, I don’t really want to limit light. Am I just going through a cycle? 8 month old setup.
 
A possible solution is adding a lawnmower blenny. I had one for years and it even ate bryopsis.

​

 
Ah, sorry guys.
They are reasonably readily available here in Europe. I assumed the US would be similar.

I recently found a good deal and bought 40 of them for my system. My frag tank was really bad and they are going to town there steadily munching down the Ulva. About a month in, its still present but not overgrown anymore.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new