Um anemone nuke?

Silvermist67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had bought a long tentacle anemone which was doin fine in my tank and after like 3 or 4 days of buying it i had a algae bloom which i had no idea how fix until yesterday and i open my tank to put a peppermint shrimp in and i saw white chunks floating and i got worried and i still can see anything so i do a small water change like 5 gallons once i do a dead/shredded anemone snd dead clownfish floats by so scooped everything up and for sum reason my watchmen goby is fine but how do i clean this tank now since i guess my anemone nuked it i have activated carbon in it already

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add an immediate ammonia remover.... then Do a large water change. Like 40%-50%. Test for ammonia Every few hrs and then do another 30% change the following day get it back to zero..... what are we saving anyway?? Btw This happened to me like a year ago and “fishguy42” Or something helped me save my tank and it worked although I may not be relaying everything the same way he did but u can check my HELP thread lol but after doing this for a while I think u can trust what I’m saying

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have ammonia remover on deck at this hour but have salt water stored well do the WC now and hit a Walmart at 6am/7am or whenever they open and buy whatever ammonia neutralizer they have lol nem nuke ain’t no joke

OP
OP
S

Silvermist67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have ammonia remover on deck at this hour but have salt water stored well do the WC now and hit a Walmart at 6am/7am or whenever they open and buy whatever ammonia neutralizer they have lol nem nuke ain’t no joke
I did a massive water change already and whats good for removing ammonia

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called off work and said that I had a sick kid when it happened to me.
I woke up at 4am and leave for work at 4/30. Seen my tank milky lookin and I was SICK so I did t feel bad saying that my kid was cuz technically it is my kid too; I birthed this thing lol. So I took off work and hit Walmart and did exactly what fishguy42 said lol. Tank been doi. Excellent ever since

OP
OP
S

Silvermist67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add an immediate ammonia remover.... then Do a large water change. Like 40%-50%. Test for ammonia Every few hrs and then do another 30% change the following day get it back to zero..... what are we saving anyway?? Btw This happened to me like a year ago and “fishguy42” Or something helped me save my tank and it worked although I may not be relaying everything the same way he did but u can check my HELP thread lol but after doing this for a while I think u can trust what I’m saying
I think it destroyed my shrimp i cant tell if its molting or not

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya dont be afraid to do another wc in a day or so when u have the time. I know my wc is at least 30gals and i dread it. Lol. So i run carbon or charcol to clear the water.
Check salinity. Ph. Alk. And tempature next time before additions. Than float the bag for 10mins and drop the critter in.
Hths
D

OP
OP
S

Silvermist67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aight well then u need to save your corals. Yea man do what was outlined and hopefully it’ll be all good. Post an update
I went to the fish shop and had my water tested and they jus looked at me and said i had high salinity and ammonia that to not do anymore water changes i did too many apparently so they said let the water sit and change 5 gallons next week

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change won’t raise salinity. That might be what killed the nem tho. U can’t do too many water changes in an emergency situation when you have high ammonia due to a nem nuke. But why so many water changes?? Shoulda just been like one large one, an ammonia remover and then wait and monitor followed by another Small one in a day or 2 after the ammonia was under control.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back