Unable to remove stem off frag plug using bone cutters and dremel

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble removing the stems off frag plugs. I've tried bone cutters and a dremel. Any tips on how to remove the stem? They are zoas so I'm a bit hesitant on removing the zoas and gluing them onto a new plug.
Tile nippers. Lowes or Home Depot. Go to flooring/ tile section

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I note several responders found the price to be high. Is it?
A brief look on BRS found standard T shaped plugs to be 30 to 40 cents per plug.
The real reef rock is 50 cents a plug, is the color of my rock work, and does't require transfer.
Each piece has at least one predrilled hole for the base of the frag.
You won't get this hammering cheap dry rock, or at the beach.
Since I don't generate a lot of frags, my bucket has lasted several years and is still half full.
No - I don't get a kick back for promoting this product. I just like it.
I wish I could buy my coral on this, or something similar, that I could just glue or epoxy down.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a ORA frag plug? Those are the worst.
Yesssss... those things are made out of Titanium or Adamantium... virtually indestructible!!...the WOAT!!

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up trying a few more methods, none of which worked... stood on bone cutters, bought tile nippers, and new cutting pliers. I gave up and ended up just wedging the frags into crevices. Not exactly where I want the zoas, but close enough and I'm tired of trying to figure out how to cut these plugs.

The plugs are stamped. They are Reefing Art plugs. They are the white ones in this link:

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound unbelievable....

The diamond cut off disc didn't work. It started to heat up the plug to the point where the zoas started to melt, so I stopped. I have cutting pliers at home, didn't work. Bought the BRS cutter, no bueno. At this point, not sure what to do
Is it a wet type saw? You’ll want to use something that has water running through it to keep the heat down

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a dremel with a diamond cutoff blade. I didn't use water because I thought it would be quick

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tbone28 What did you end up doing?

I have the purple ones and they're made out of unobtanium.

My dremel tool couldn't handle it, not even the little diamond blades - pretty wild.

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tbone28 What did you end up doing?

I have the purple ones and they're made out of unobtanium.

My dremel tool couldn't handle it, not even the little diamond blades - pretty wild.
Nothing I tried worked. I ended up placing the frags into crevices within the rock, so some of the frags did not end up where I really wanted them. I emailed the seller asking what type of plugs they used and offered the suggestion to switch brands. Got no response. Made a mental note to myself to never order from them again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm having trouble removing the stems off frag plugs. I've tried bone cutters and a dremel. Any tips on how to remove the stem? They are zoas so I'm a bit hesitant on removing the zoas and gluing them onto a new plug.
Ive had easy success with large bone cutters

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing I tried worked. I ended up placing the frags into crevices within the rock, so some of the frags did not end up where I really wanted them. I emailed the seller asking what type of plugs they used and offered the suggestion to switch brands. Got no response. Made a mental note to myself to never order from them again.
Yeah, I would recommend anyone avoid the "reefing art" plugs. (that is the plug you had and I have)

Not sure what they're made out of but it's not ceramic - even though they claim it is.

I've never seen ceramic make a metal/diamond blade spark and stink of burning metal.

1699660015026.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We get it @Cell you are the strongest person alive! No need to show off!!!
Just trying to show it can indeed be done! Lol. I guess it was the wrong plug brand. I have reefing art plugs somewhere though so now I want to try them.

OP
OP
T

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would recommend anyone avoid the "reefing art" plugs. (that is the plug you had and I have)

Not sure what they're made out of but it's not ceramic - even though they claim it is.

I've never seen ceramic make a metal/diamond blade spark and stink of burning metal.

1699660015026.png
You and I have had the exact same experience with this plug and its dominance over a diamond blade lol

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have cut everything from mild steel to tool steel with a wizzer wheel, but it wont cut these purple plugs

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm telling you guys - these things are made of some kind of insane alien alloy right out of XCOM UFO defense

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound unbelievable....

The diamond cut off disc didn't work. It started to heat up the plug to the point where the zoas started to melt, so I stopped. I have cutting pliers at home, didn't work. Bought the BRS cutter, no bueno. At this point, not sure what to do
gym membership - more protein or ask your wife or GF to do it...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the Reefing Art plug was definitely a bit tougher than normal plugs, but still popped right off with my cutting pliers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back