Unbranded protein skimmer? Anyone know of this skimmer?

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to buy a protein skimmer for my new 29 gallon reef. Problem is, I just started this hobby and am already well over my original budget. So I found this skimmer :

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/protei...e-aquarium-fish-tank-sal-water/213485053.html

Possible it may be the brand name "Sky" ?

It's in my price range and looks decent but has no reviews or videos on YouTube. Has anybody seen or know of this protein skimmer and would you recommend it? I know there are plenty of better products but this one is what I can afford right now.

Also I found an identical one on amazon here but am unsure whether they are the same.

Best Choice Products Huge Aquarium Tank Protein Skimmer Filter with Power Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030AA48K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cfz2yb29T60TC

P.S.- one of the main reasons I chose this is the hang on back option which is needed due to my glass hood. To my understanding a pump is submerged in the tank and the rest of he unit is outside the tank.

Thanks for any and all of your time and help!

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought this one when I first started my 130
it worked ok.... was noisey where the water enters back into the tank
but..... I would not call it a hang on.. it's made to go into the sump
I really don't think you could hang it on the back..
sorry

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty big skimmer for your current setup. It would be as tall as your tank itself. The brand is in the description itself, Best Choice Products. Honestly with that price range I think you can find something that is better quality from Craigslist or look at something like the Instant Ocean Sea Clone, they can be found in local big box stores usually, but you'll find better deals online. If you live in Phoenix I'd say go and check out Discount Aquarium in Tempe. I got a used protein skimmer for less than half the retail price.

Goodluck!

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I joined this forum. Great and quick feedback. Might not be what I wanted to hear but better that than buying it and seeing for myself. Thanks much guys! I looked at the sea clone reviews and YouTube vids a week or so ago but forgot what strayed me from it exactly. I know I can't expect much for under 75 or even 100 but I'll try to find the best I can get for that price. Thanks again for the awesome feedback

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stay up on top of water changes each week or so, you may be able to push off the need for a skimmer for a few months as well, giving you time to save up for something that would cost a little bit more.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd tell you get a good one right off the bat as I have gone thru 4 skimmers now trying to find a decent one that work as I am a firm believer of the most expenseve one isn't always the best

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh100-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer-1.html
my buddy has the larger one of these and LOVES it and it works well
I know alittle more pricey than would like but I think a good choice

I researched it and now I want it lol. But I'm cringing because I still need a light. But would there be any harm to the 29g system with a protein skimmer so productive? I read that a bit over was ok but what about 29 to its 105 rating?

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If budget is an issue and you still don't have a light, you should buy a better light and save up to buy a good skimmer later. Many people have successful tanks without skimmers (with a good water change schedule), but nobody has a successful tank without good lighting.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a light. You can manage that tank with just water changes alone. If you are looking for a decent skimmer for that size tank I've had good luck with the bubble Magnus qq1.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone above. Spend your money on a quality light. If you're diligent with 5 gallon weekly water changes, you'll be fine without a skimmer with the relatively small volume of water in a 29 gallon tank.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you currently have in your tank at this point? If you have just a fowlr or fish only tank and don't plan on buying any corals anytime soon, you could get by on a low end light system without a skimmer and a good water change schedule. If you want to jump in and get corals right away, your best buy would be to spend the money on a decent light system. You can find a 4 T5HO with moon light LEDs for around $100.00.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got it, the lighting is key. I had a Current USA orbit marine 24"-36" in mind but have recently heard negative things about its light power. Is a 4 T5HO with moon light LED's better than that? And I had a budget of 150, anything higher and I'd be pushing it for the rest of my purchases.

And to answer the question currently I have:
•29g bowfront aquarium w/stand
•live sand
•30lbs of dry rock from BRS.com
•maintenance tools and salt
•hydor 750-850 powerhead
•heater
•basic T8 18" fluorescent hood lamp
•marineland c-160 canister filter

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought of getting an Oceanic Revive t247 for $170 a bit but how well would that work with a support bar across the middle of my bowfront tank? IMG_0385.JPG

It looks exactly like this. (Google image) Am I going to have shadowing with this tank?

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting great growth with my T5's for all my corals right now. That tank you're looking at looks just like the tank I have running right now. Here's my tank build thread from the beginning to where I'm at right now.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great! Good job with the construction! And my tank looks exactly the same.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right where I want to be someday. Great looking tank! I'm thinking of getting the t247 just off the bat as a novice so I won't one day regret my lighting, but how do you think that would look with the bowfront support bar like in the picture above?

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be fine, it will obviously block a little of the light but you really don't have any other option without buying 2 separate lights and as far as I know there really aren't any cheap small lights that are good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back