OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used strip lights along the top perimeter and front face of cabinet. Can't see the lights unless you are in the stand. Have them on a switch just inside the cabinet. Very happy with them so far. Bought them off amazon a year and a half ago.

Any pics for reference?

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be running an apex so I'm very curious, do you have any photos you're willing to share? Does the light stay on until you close the door or will it time out?

The magnetic switch is wired into the break out box that is connected to the Apex. One part of the mag switch is on the door and the other on the stand frame. When ever I open the door, the light comes on and close it it goes off. I can also turn on/off the light via the Apex app. Lots of threads exists on R2R on how to do that.

I am away from home so no pic

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did not want strips but rather some kind of low-profile fixture. I found these puck lights to be on point:

Aquarium_Sump.jpg

You can see in the top-left of the picture the power distribution bar for the 6 puck lights. I am only using 5 of the 6 in this picture. The lights are mounted a bit staggered intentionally. The top shelf has 2 lights very close to the front of the stand and one light in the middle towards the back. The lights in the lower sump are about the same except with all the plumbing, I couldn't mount a light in the middle. I still might try to mount the lower-middle light at some point if I can make a quick bracket that clips onto the pipes. I also got some small sticky retention clips to keep the wires out of the way. I love these lights and would buy again.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I got my new tank over the weekend from Planet Aquariums. Im looking to add bright white lights for maintenance purposes in the future.

I've noticed lots of people going with strip lights. My personal opinion is those look very " Janky " . I'm looking more towards a cleaner more permanent solution. Maybe 2 semi recessed puck led lights hardwired with a toggle switch on the back of the stand? Any ideas / and or pictures would do great. Thx in advance

20200918_185326.jpg
20200918_185309.jpg
I use this under my 75 gallon:

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these. I actually like them a lot. They are solid strips instead of just the cheap LED strips. They are also angled, no problems with them so far, I have had them a few months.

Last edited:

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I use that I mentioned earlier describes itself as waterproof. I have puck lights in my equipment cabinet but for my 4 foot stand I wanted it bright and the 1800 lumens is perfect.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gooseneck I bought from marine depot a few years ago. The bulb is off amazon.

YurgiReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 LED puck lights mounted inside my DIY cabinet.
They are placed in somewhat recessed areas in an attempt to minimize their visual impact - pretty successful IMO...

The LED pucks are from HD and though the website shows RGB, the little remote control has at least 21 different color options. My kids love choosing which color is on in the evening at dinner.

Commercial Electric
3-Light LED White RGB Color Changing Puck Light Kit
CabLightsHD.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...hanging-Puck-Light-Kit-21383NKIT-WH/206837266

Here's the look under my cabinet:
White, Red, and Blue colors...
CabLightsWhite.jpg
CabLightsRed.jpg
CabLightsBLUE.jpg

A look at the actual puck light (sorry, it's stuffed up there...)
CabLights1.jpg

Oh, and the remote control also has some other features. In particular, increase or decrease the light intensity. Think there are about 5 different levels of brightness.

Happy Reefing!

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a very sleek, low profile strip, next version won’t be motion activated. I will run wire and pucks. Every time I’m working in around the sump, light goes on, light goes off, light goes on, light goes off, NO Lights OFF Danielson !

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these LED strips from Amazon and wired it through a magnetic switch on the cabinet door to automate on/off. They’re cheap enough that I just bought a couple of extra strips so if one goes out or they start to dim I can just swap out the affected strip.

B6655A83-84B6-49F4-96F1-15A32719ED93.jpeg

7A4F62C5-57FE-4DF9-A7A9-6839F2E6F10F.jpeg
Litever Under Cabinet LED Light Bar Kits Plug in 3 pcs 12 inches Light Bars per Set Warm White 3000K 20W 1000 Lumen Dimmable for Kitchen Cabinets Counters Bookcases (3 Bars Kit-3000K)

Plummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Led strip lights off of amazon with a motion sensor so when I open the cabinet doors they come on and turn off in 5 mins with no movement
5AD31E37-370A-4000-B3D3-E342649B01D6.png

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kid not included! Just some Christmas yoda ornaments there to light it just enough to find rest kits and other supplies! Sump is in the other room.

9E97F4DF-0680-4B34-BC81-B0C6E0E2B981.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7236.MOV
    10.5 MB

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have “Mr. Beams,” Battery Motion Sensor LED’s in my smaller closets. They take four C Cells, it’s been almost three years, and they are on their original batteries. They also have water resistant ones for outside. The inside of my cabinet, is White, so I haven’t had a need for lights.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just added lights under the cabinet of my 135 Oceanic and went with WiFi LED tape strip 20' light with remote so you can choose a color. Under $20 on Amazon.

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Philips Hue Strip lights are my go-to for things like this. I hid a strip behind the steel beams I have running up across and down the inside of my sump - Lighting from all sides means the whole sump area is effectively floodlit with great light and very little shadows / no dark corners.

Controllable from phone / watch and with an infinite number of colour / brightness combinations. Can hook up to a motion sensor if you like so lights go on as soon as you open cabinet door.

Expensive, but for me - well worth it.

BobT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1601295027096.png

Have had good experience with these rechargeable LED's - magnetic mount and motion activated when doors open

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back