Underwater “waterfall” in a reef?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am setting up a new 65 gallon tall reef and I’ve always wanted to do an underwater waterfall in a tank. I’m considering doing that in the corner beside my overflow box, but I’ve always seen these in freshwater tanks. I’m guessing that’s because the low flow in fresh water tanks. But I’m curious, if I used a large grain sand would it work? What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

Link to a video of what I’m talking about incase y’all don’t know

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fascinating. I have never seen such a thing.
What impeller can survive a larger sound particle I wonder. I hope you succeed and share!

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video can imagine instead of the plants corals on the rocks. Was this something you made.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it wouldn't be such a good idea on a reef fo one reason only. Circulation. We run reefs with a lot more water movement than most freshwater aquaria the waterfall would need to be in a pretty "dead" zone to not blow sand all over the corals. Maybe a softie reef with very little flow could work, I think a predator fish would be a nice addition to it. A dragon under the waterfall sort of thing.

Jmobley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am setting up a new 65 gallon tall reef and I’ve always wanted to do an underwater waterfall in a tank. I’m considering doing that in the corner beside my overflow box, but I’ve always seen these in freshwater tanks. I’m guessing that’s because the low flow in fresh water tanks. But I’m curious, if I used a large grain sand would it work? What is everyone’s thoughts on this?

Link to a video of what I’m talking about incase y’all don’t know

my engineer gobi does this on his own lol

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the coolest things iv seen next to a very well done floating reef. Hell, tie them both together somehow n super wow. Can't wait to see what u come up with. Definitely following

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be harder than you think for a couple of reasons

1) flow, like another poster mentioned, will be much higher in reef than in planted tank, the sand will blow everywhere

2) saltwater, with a higher SG, will mean that things will fall slower, so harder to get that waterfall illusion.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it wouldn't be such a good idea on a reef fo one reason only. Circulation. We run reefs with a lot more water movement than most freshwater aquaria the waterfall would need to be in a pretty "dead" zone to not blow sand all over the corals. Maybe a softie reef with very little flow could work, I think a predator fish would be a nice addition to it. A dragon under the waterfall sort of thing.
I totally agree with this. I’m wondering if a really large grain sand might be able to do it still but I’m thinking there will be way too much flow. Your predator tank idea would be perfect for this though. Thanks!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the coolest things iv seen next to a very well done floating reef. Hell, tie them both together somehow n super wow. Can't wait to see what u come up with. Definitely following
Thanks! It would be super cool to tie both together some how

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be harder than you think for a couple of reasons

1) flow, like another poster mentioned, will be much higher in reef than in planted tank, the sand will blow everywhere

2) saltwater, with a higher SG, will mean that things will fall slower, so harder to get that waterfall illusion.
These are some very good points. I totally didn’t think about the salinity affecting the way the sand floats. Thanks for the input!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO IT!
experiment in a small tank to work out all the details then move it to the large tank. if you cant make it work you could make it it's own eco system in one of those tall tanks.

let us know how it goes with lots of videos.
I have thought about this in both FW and SW just never done it.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO IT!
experiment in a small tank to work out all the details then move it to the large tank. if you cant make it work you could make it it's own eco system in one of those tall tanks.

let us know how it goes with lots of videos.
I have thought about this in both FW and SW just never done it.
That’s a great idea! I’ll be sure to update this thread if I do it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back