Undulated Trigger

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an algea reactor?? Ive never heard of it

Search for some good threads here, alot in the diy forum. It's an easy inexpensive add on to keep your nitrates and phosphates in check when you are running a high nutrient tank; they help on my tanks tremendously.

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you might want to know the fish pictured is a female. The lines on it's face from it's eyes to it's nose are the giveaway. The larger males don't have those lines. Female might be less aggressive than a male. I've seen a lot of these in Fiji, and the males seem to be a lot more aggressive.

OP
OP
CaptianPaulie

CaptianPaulie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you might want to know the fish pictured is a female. The lines on it's face from it's eyes to it's nose are the giveaway. The larger males don't have those lines. Female might be less aggressive than a male. I've seen a lot of these in Fiji, and the males seem to be a lot more aggressive.
Awesome im really happy for that information! Especially cause ive been refering to him as a he since i got him

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the size yours is, they all have those lines. I would think the differences likely don't show up until they are more mature. This presents most obviously with the bluejaw triggers as well. Definite sexing is likely not possible until they over 4".

OP
OP
CaptianPaulie

CaptianPaulie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the size yours is, they all have those lines. I would think the differences likely don't show up until they are more mature. This presents most obviously with the bluejaw triggers as well. Definite sexing is likely not possible until they over 4".
Lol so many mixed opinions on this thread!!!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thirty years ago, I had a few small fish-only tanks in addition to a reef. One of those tanks eventually housed an Undulate Trigger, and nothing else. Aggressive definitely, but also loaded with personality. Only fish I ever named - Zack.

Zack liked to redecorate his tank, picking up empty shells and dropping them with a thunk. If I was feeding the tank next to his, he'd bang his snout on the glass insisting that I also feed him immediately. Zack would eat chopped up table shrimp and fish from my hand. One day, he gobbled up all the food I had, but I kept my hand in the water anyway, thinking maybe he'd let me 'pet' him a bit. He started to get agitated seeing that the food was gone, and suddenly CHOMP!, he bit down on my finger. I was startled, jerked my hand back, and sent him sailing 6' behind me onto the carpet. OMG - Better get him back in the tank. He shook himself off and was none the worse for wear. I continued to hand feed him, but after that he never once bit me again. :)

OP
OP
CaptianPaulie

CaptianPaulie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thirty years ago, I had a few small fish-only tanks in addition to a reef. One of those tanks eventually housed an Undulate Trigger, and nothing else. Aggressive definitely, but also loaded with personality. Only fish I ever named - Zack.

Zack liked to redecorate his tank, picking up empty shells and dropping them with a thunk. If I was feeding the tank next to his, he'd bang his snout on the glass insisting that I also feed him immediately. Zack would eat chopped up table shrimp and fish from my hand. One day, he gobbled up all the food I had, but I kept my hand in the water anyway, thinking maybe he'd let me 'pet' him a bit. He started to get agitated seeing that the food was gone, and suddenly CHOMP!, he bit down on my finger. I was startled, jerked my hand back, and sent him sailing 6' behind me onto the carpet. OMG - Better get him back in the tank. He shook himself off and was none the worse for wear. I continued to hand feed him, but he never once bit me again. :)
Hahahaha that's a funny story! I dont think i have the balls to handfeed because of the pain i hear can come for an undy but i def know what your talking about with the personality thing very smart fish. My girlfriend hates my undy but im absolutely in love

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might get a divider to try and make the undy a little more friendly after a while of knowing he has a tankmate take it away and let it ride. I cant get rid of him im too attached

That's kind of like the frog and scorpion fable; an undy is an undy, it is his nature. There really shouldn't be much conflicting info on the undy, they are a terror, period. At 2" you are fine for the most part, but dividing a 55g will just make him more mad. I have literally seen women in tears when they witnessed what an undy did to the other fish in their tanks.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol so many mixed opinions on this thread!!!

This may help, and or may not :(, but my intent is to only help. When it comes to your tank, it has to be what you want and like period. Your the one who will see it everyday and fall in love with it. Everyone one here is right to an extent, but I don’t think any of us can say for certain.

It’s very obvious your adore your trigger and you want to make him/her happy. Some of the suggestions are not to far out of reach. Some say, to avoid a lion fish, or even a dwarf lion fish. Some say try them because they have no natural predators really, and make sure your trigger is larger than the lion fish’s mouth. If you get a dwarf lion fish, then your already there. Your trigger fish isn’t dumb, he/she will know they are venomous because of the markings. It’s how nature designed it. Go with your gut feeling, and I for one will support it, (okay throwing a tiny clown in there maybe not) but you know within common sense. It’s your tank, your hobby, do what your heart tells you to do. All the advice in the world is amazing, but only you can decide.

OP
OP
CaptianPaulie

CaptianPaulie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help, and or may not :(, but my intent is to only help. When it comes to your tank, it has to be what you want and like period. Your the one who will see it everyday and fall in love with it. Everyone one here is right to an extent, but I don’t think any of us can say for certain.

It’s very obvious your adore your trigger and you want to make him/her happy. Some of the suggestions are not to far out of reach. Some say, to avoid a lion fish, or even a dwarf lion fish. Some say try them because they have no natural predators really, and make sure your trigger is larger than the lion fish’s mouth. If you get a dwarf lion fish, then your already there. Your trigger fish isn’t dumb, he/she will know they are venomous because of the markings. It’s how nature designed it. Go with your gut feeling, and I for one will support it, (okay throwing a tiny clown in there maybe not) but you know within common sense. It’s your tank, your hobby, do what your heart tells you to do. All the advice in the world is amazing, but only you can decide.
Thank you for that thats def true!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did this idea that lionfish have no predators come from? I know the concern for the invasive Caribbean lions there were no NATURAL predators, but sharks, eels and groupers are figuring it out. But in their native waters throughout the Indo-Pacific their are numerous lionfish predators.

Triggers are not a lionfish predator. But just because they don't eat lions doesn't mean they won't nip them. Some triggers nip out of curiousity, some out of boredom, and others because they are jerks. Undulated triggers are known to be jerks. And while lions can be quite adept at defending against trigger bites, it is still stressful on the lion to constantly be "on guard."

While personal preferences are important, it is still important to properly care for the animals we house. Adequate surroundings and tankmates are important considerations for the living creatures under our care, more so than our whims.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in your situation I would go with a lion and maybe an eel. You might be able to get a long spine urchin. I don't think they are on a triggers menu and they can defend themselves.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in your situation I would go with a lion and maybe an eel. You might be able to get a long spine urchin. I don't think they are on a triggers menu and they can defend themselves.

Would strongly discourage the Long spine urchin. I have seen numerous picked apart one spine at a time by triggers of various species.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clearly my earlier response in, “lionfish have no natural predators” I simply meant that we will have in our reef tanks, not the ocean. To clarify, “Natural predators in the Indo-Pacific and Red Sea that are known to eat lionfish include sharks, cornetfish, grouper, large eels, frogfish and other scorpionfish. There is speculation that large snapper and some species of trigger fish eat lionfish in their native ranges as well.” (Hunting Lionfish) pg 1.

In addition some truths about this from national geography state, “There have been numerous instances of predators such as sharks, eels, and grouper feasting on lionfish – but typically only after a diver has offered the lionfish to them first. This raises concerns due to the inherent risks involved with teaching wild animals to see humans and expect a free meal. There have even been reports of sharks, eels, and barracuda becoming aggressive towards lionfish hunters in anticipation of handouts. Additionally, a recently released study that examined lionfish/predator abundance throughout the Caribbean over the course of three years determined that there was no correlation between native predator densities and lionfish densities, suggesting that native predators do not influence the successful invasion of lionfish. As great as it would be to have native predators feasting on these invaders, it looks like humans are really the only true lionfish predators in their invasive territory” (National Geographic ((https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/07/19/top-5-myths-about-lionfish).

In researching triggers that kill lionfish, there are some that can, but one can not change DNA. There recorded instances where lionfish and trigger fish get along and then one day, the trigger will snap and the lionfish loses. On other occasions the trigger will lose because it gets punctured by one of the spines releasing the neurotoxin. As I stated before
the advice prior is good advice, but it’s comes down to the owner of the tank to make their choice. There is always a possibility of something not getting along, whether it be a peaceful tank, or an aggressive tank. Even in nature this happens in the ocean. (To clarity) do I suggest one torment and harm animals or fish species, of course not. However, even with some tangs, or clowns, they go after each other. We all try not to, I don’t think anyone wants to go spend 40 plus dollars on a fish just to watch it become a snack. None of us I think would like that.

However, given the op situation, tank size, and size of his trigger it is very possible that they can get along. It’s also very possibly one may not make it. Which is why I said we all have great advice, there is a lot of truth and thoughts listed here. But no one can be certain either way, no matter how much we research it. Life has always proven to change when we least expect it to.

The original op clearly adores his trigger, but also wants to have more fish etc. How he chooses to do this is, up to him and it may or may not always work the way we want it to. I just wanted to clarify why I stated some of the things I posted. It was from doing some research through reliable sources that I was able to say, this could work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back