Uneven Tile & Leveling a Waterbox REEF 180.5

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am having a difficult time leveling my new Waterbox REEF 180.5. The tile in my living room is not consistent/level and it was laid on a concrete foundation.

This is the back left of the tank:
PXL_20211211_231723294_2.jpg

This is the front right (it actually comes off the threading to reach the floor so I am trying to contact Waterbox to see if they have longer leveling feet):
PXL_20211211_231709661.jpg

I am having a difficult time leveling the stand because there are so many leveling feet. I had it fairly level until I assembled everything and the front right leveling feet were no longer touching the tile and in order to get them to, they would come out of the threading.

PXL_20211213_053343405.jpg

This is where I have the tank.

I considered doing a tiny piece of tile like 1x1 but it freaked me out if the tank ever fell off of it or something.
PXL_20211212_032219952.jpg

Any ideas on how to get the tank safely level? Thanks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thought.... I'm assuming the nut is there to lock the leveling leg in place. How about removing the nut in the back corner (not needed if it's screwed all the way in) and just have the leg threaded into the hole, all the way. That potentially gives you the length you need for the front right leg.

In addition, I can't see how a tank/stand full of water would slip off your little tile. That said, and not knowing the crush force of a small piece of tile with a point load, I'd have a tendency to use some other material....like wood, and maybe a bit larger than 1x1.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my similar size WB on a sloped area of an old wooden floor. Same principle; had to shim. It’s been that way for 18mo without issue.

As the others said, once filled there is no slipping. Do not use tile chunks though, they are too brittle. Wood or plastic shims are the most common. A larger piece can be used to go under multiple feet if there is an area that is low.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You shouldn’t have any issues using tile (or anything else solid) to shim the stand level. Once the tank is full it will not slip off of them.
I think I'm going to try composite shims.

Here's a thought.... I'm assuming the nut is there to lock the leveling leg in place. How about removing the nut in the back corner (not needed if it's screwed all the way in) and just have the leg threaded into the hole, all the way. That potentially gives you the length you need for the front right leg.

In addition, I can't see how a tank/stand full of water would slip off your little tile. That said, and not knowing the crush force of a small piece of tile with a point load, I'd have a tendency to use some other material....like wood, and maybe a bit larger than 1x1.
This is a great idea but my tile is super messed up apparently. I tried removing the nuts in the back area, but then I encountered a problem in the middle where I needed space but there wasn't enough space for a nut to tighten/lock the position.

I have my similar size WB on a sloped area of an old wooden floor. Same principle; had to shim. It’s been that way for 18mo without issue.

As the others said, once filled there is no slipping. Do not use tile chunks though, they are too brittle. Wood or plastic shims are the most common. A larger piece can be used to go under multiple feet if there is an area that is low.
I am going to grab some composite shims from Lowes tomorrow and start leveling with all feet screwed in with nuts, then level all 4 corners, and then insert shims as needed. I think I have to disassemble the stand to accomplish this though ;Facepalm.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps this is a bit too late for you, but i had the same issue and i solved it by ordering longer m6 leveling feet -
IMG_3032.JPG

have a look here for more details

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
perhaps this is a bit too late for you, but i had the same issue and i solved it by ordering longer m6 leveling feet -
IMG_3032.JPG

have a look here for more details

I actually decided to move the tank out of my living room and into the dining room to create a dedicated fish room/bar. I am currently putting down new floors in the dining room and plan to build a bar around the tank. I haven't moved the tank yet so this is still really helpful, thank you! Would you mind sending me a link to the leveling feet you used? I was worried about replacing them and the replacements not being rated the the weight.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually decided to move the tank out of my living room and into the dining room to create a dedicated fish room/bar. I am currently putting down new floors in the dining room and plan to build a bar around the tank. I haven't moved the tank yet so this is still really helpful, thank you! Would you mind sending me a link to the leveling feet you used? I was worried about replacing them and the replacements not being rated the the weight.
Here they are. They seem more sturdy than the stock one which are essentially the cheapest option available. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0836NXGXT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back