Unexpected - stoplight cardinal ate high fin red banded goby!

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this was a heck of a surprise, looked at my Biocube today, and I see my red stoplight cardinal (Apogonichthys hyalinus) swimming around with the backhalf of my hi-fin red banded goby sticking out of its mouth.

Would you say its more likely that the cardinal attacked and ate the goby, or the goby was already dead and the cardinal took the opportunity for a meal?

Losirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this was a heck of a surprise, looked at my Biocube today, and I see my red stoplight cardinal (Apogonichthys hyalinus) swimming around with the backhalf of my hi-fin red banded goby sticking out of its mouth.

Would you say its more likely that the cardinal attacked and ate the goby, or the goby was already dead and the cardinal took the opportunity for a meal?
The Cardinal almost certainly was munching on his already dead body. Cardinal fish are prey and are almost never aggressors (except against their own species)

OP
OP
BirdFish5000

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, yeah, that makes sense. She's (he?) always been super shy, so that reconciles.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wouldn’t surprise me if a cardinal took on a shrimp goby as they’re usually nocturnal hunters. As for what I think, I’d say the goby was already weak or dead before the cardinal took his chance.

OP
OP
BirdFish5000

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby had been with me for over two years, so I'm thinking he was rather elderly, I know their lifespans aren't long.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby had been with me for over two years, so I'm thinking he was rather elderly, I know their lifespans aren't long.
Was he showing lethargy or any signs of old age?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back