Unexplained coral issues?

Ever had a serious coral problem that was never explained?

• Yes

Votes: 66 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

monfilsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Long Tenticle Plate.
Always 5-7 months happy, then retract overnight, gone in a week.
Every time I get this coral.

IMG_0573.jpeg
I have similar issues with other plates (fungia), which last 5-6 months and then die. Someone recently told me their very thin membranes are easily damaged on the sand bed and provide a path for infections. If that is true, then bare bottom tanks likely have more success with this species. They suggested to set them on a thin plate off the sand bed. I have two right that I'm trying that with.... will find out in 5 months.

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I've never been able to keep acans alive longer than 6 months. Also having a colony of Red Dragon for years, the tissue just pealed off within 2 days. Parameters were stable and no other corals were effected.

dhboiler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a hammer that way. All my other euphyllia are fine. It had grown multiple heads since being in my tank, then it just started closing up and dying head by head. My best guess is I had an issue with elevated salinity, but every thing else pulled through it fine.

sohal tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever had a serious coral problem that was never explained?

Not death of a new coral, but something that was thriving, then for unknown reasons stopped thriving and possibly died?

I come across lots of folks looking for chemical explanations when none seem apparent. I’m wondering how often folks just never know.
I suspect that alot of the deaths are from UNDER FEEDING...think about it...iffffff a coral is getting 95% of the food it needs to survive then that means it is slowly starving to death. FOOD FOR THOUGHT- little PUNNY there! ha!

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me right now!

My anemone, mushroom, and toadstool are growing and appear to be thriving, yet my Zoas, torch, and Duncan isn’t doing so hot.:pleading-face:

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back