Unhappy Crocea

sailorman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD Crocea about 2". Had since early April. The clam just won't settle down. Every single place it's been put seems good, the mantle expands nicely. Next morning it is always on it's side. I've tried on the sand, on rock rubble in a bowl, on a synthetic clam base, on an oyster shell, even right on the reef rock. Under the light, to the side of the light and then up a bit higher than the bed. I know if I keep fusing with it that it will die. Quite frankly I'm surprised it's still alive. 150 G tank is almost a year old. Lights are GHL Mitras (3) running at HO. 2 MP 40's on the ends running at 50%, clam is in the middle shielded by rockwork. Parameters are all fine and stable, almost textbook. Any ideas?

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read someone's post here on R2R that these clams tend to be "unique" and not all of them fall into the same mold of PAR and flow requirements. I'm no expert in crocea clams..I just got mine last week and I have it on a stone plate that it shipped with. The plate is sitting on my sandbed that registers 150-175 PAR and it's opening up just fine. I don't have tons of flow going through it..just low-moderate, chaotic flow. It doesn't detach from the plate and it doesn't go sideways either. Another R2R user states that his crocea clam was on his sandbed just fine for 9 years.

OP
OP
S

sailorman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read someone's post here on R2R that these clams tend to be "unique" and not all of them fall into the same mold of PAR and flow requirements. I'm no expert in crocea clams..I just got mine last week and I have it on a stone plate that it shipped with. The plate is sitting on my sandbed that registers 150-175 PAR and it's opening up just fine. I don't have tons of flow going through it..just low-moderate, chaotic flow. It doesn't detach from the plate and it doesn't go sideways either. Another R2R user states that his crocea clam was on his sandbed just fine for 9 years.
I'm okay with it being on the sandbed but I don't think it should be laying on it's side. It came not attached to anything.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding, if it's on its side then it means the clam is unhappy with the current location and wants to move away. Have you tried using any of your bases on the sand at a location with low-mod flow? You have mp40s so I'm assuming the flow is pretty high. I picked out a spot near my hammer garden that gets low-mod flow so that my crocea doesn't get blasted too hard and it's staying in place so far

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 118 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 29.6%
Back