OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If previously happy LPS and zoas are closing then something is definitely off. I would start with nutrients. I think you quoted a surprise 0/0. Are you using Hanna for PO4? Fix PO4 for sure. Let the skimmer drain back into sump. Or cut back refugium hours. Or feed an extra couple times (my favorite). One lever at a time then watch and measure for a week or so before pulling another lever.

Lastly, I don't know the concentration of your 2-part dosing, but sounds like a lot for the amount of stony corals you have. Kinda puzzles me. Maybe my ESV is just more concentrated.

I actually have not ran my skimmer since reading zero, just tested everything (will post a photo). I’m using Hanna for PO4 and alk, Red Sea NO3 pro, salifert for calcium magnesium and to double check alk.
Yeah I really don’t understand the consumption either, I mean I’m getting some corraline growth so there is some uptake. I’m using BRS two part, and just mixed it according to the instructions on the back. I just stopped dosing acro power, because that’s something new within the last month. I lowered my light intensity as well, just because stuff looks so unhappy and losing sps. I don’t think any contaminate has gotten into the water, my RODI is reading zero tds, but will be changing filters this weekend just to be sure. Also just did a water change today, first one in almost a month now maybe.
4633B1D2-B8C2-4C18-A9CF-83ACF0F596E1.png

OuteastREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this was addressed but what 2 part are you dosing 100ml a day? It really shouldn't be that high alkalinity intake with smaller frags. Do you have a lot of coraline algae?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this was addressed but what 2 part are you dosing 100ml a day? It really shouldn't be that high alkalinity intake with smaller frags. Do you have a lot of coraline algae?
Just mentioned it above, using BRS two part. Followed mixing instructions on the back. I mean I have coraline but honestly not much. Also my consumption has not really changed, even though some of my sps has died or is dying.

OuteastREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mentioned it above, using BRS two part. Followed mixing instructions on the back. I mean I have coraline but honestly not much. Also my consumption has not really changed, even though some of my sps has died or is dying.
Lol sorry, def missed the whole paragraph before the graph results. That's strange, even with all that dosing you should of seen a change in alk consumption when corals were dying. Possibly a bad batch of 2 part? I dunno

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, I got some new alk reagent (after determining that mine was possibly no good). Lost maybe five acros, few are still hanging in there and a couple have decent PE and starting to color up. Now I’m only dosing 60ml a day and my alk is stable (according to Hanna and salifert) at 8. So not sure if I was overdosing alk and calcium. Have not ran my skimmer in a few weeks, have been dosing Red Sea AB, and spot feeding once or twice a week. Also working my lights up to a higher intensity. Everything seems much happier, confident going forward. Also I sent out water samples to ATI, so waiting to hear back from that.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, I got some new alk reagent (after determining that mine was possibly no good). Lost maybe five acros, few are still hanging in there and a couple have decent PE and starting to color up. Now I’m only dosing 60ml a day and my alk is stable (according to Hanna and salifert) at 8. So not sure if I was overdosing alk and calcium. Have not ran my skimmer in a few weeks, have been dosing Red Sea AB, and spot feeding once or twice a week. Also working my lights up to a higher intensity. Everything seems much happier, confident going forward. Also I sent out water samples to ATI, so waiting to hear back from that.
Glad to hear things are settling. Update us when the ICP comes back.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are my results from ATI
Anyone more experienced than I have some takeaways?
A2CFA619-DAFC-419A-9061-0E04FBF0191D.png
DB2FA4E4-8EE8-45E1-AE68-A7C220D0FC86.png
ED2DE5C4-896E-4D37-9BD4-70563C3AA0DA.png
13A3C1AD-8505-4E2C-AEFC-592678C18299.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients aside it looks OK to me.

ICP measures of phosphates/phosphorus are notoriously low. Mine are generally half or less of what Hanna tells me. Still, half of zero is zero. Nitrate readings are manually done, not ICP.

So my only recommendation is to make sure you have steady nutrient going into your system. You don't need heavy residuals, but unless you are feeding 3-4+ times a day, you are dancing a little close to the edge.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients aside it looks OK to me.

ICP measures of phosphates/phosphorus are notoriously low. Mine are generally half or less of what Hanna tells me. Still, half of zero is zero. Nitrate readings are manually done, not ICP.

So my only recommendation is to make sure you have steady nutrient going into your system. You don't need heavy residuals, but unless you are feeding 3-4+ times a day, you are dancing a little close to the edge.

Yeah I’ve been feeding heavy and spot feeding coral. Should I be concerned with the high level of aluminum?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve been feeding heavy and spot feeding coral. Should I be concerned with the high level of aluminum?
Nah. Some have reported that it can irritate leathers, but I have seen much higher levels in healthy reef tanks. Some people believe that ceramic block leaches Al but that has not been my experience and I run 350+ cubic inches of Marine Pure.

Same with lithium. Don't sweat that. It is in my salt. Corals are fine, and maybe it mellows the fish. :)

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Some have reported that it can irritate leathers, but I have seen much higher levels in healthy reef tanks. Some people believe that ceramic block leaches Al but that has not been my experience and I run 350+ cubic inches of Marine Pure.

Same with lithium. Don't sweat that. It is in my salt. Corals are fine, and maybe it mellows the fish. :)
Awesome thank you for the information. Anything you would work on tweaking in my tank than, or just keep running it as is?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back