Unhappy Zoas

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'd had these zoas about a month now. I recently did a tank upgrade which caused a mini cycle, (only corals, shrimp, and snails, no fish are in the system). They had to spend two days in a small tank while everything got moved over. Some of them are back to normal and happy as a clam. But some never seemed to bounce back. The hammer coral I have is happier than ever with it's new spot higher in the tank, but zoas are all close to the same height as before with the same lights. Maybe they're a little bit higher, but in the old tank they were starting to stretch a little anyway.
Many of my zoas are closed up now, or just barely peeking out, yet there's others that look like they have grown in the week since the transfer. I noticed that one of them was on a rock that's got a bunch of spaghetti worms on it, and I saw that some zoas could be sensitive to them so I moved it to another rock. But that same zoa also has another mystery worm that has started growing on the plug, I don't know what it is, but maybe that is making it unhappy?
Note the snail eggs have been there since before it became unhappy.
IMG_0671.JPG

Then there's this one that looks unhappy I'm thinking maybe because of this algae growing from it?
IMG_0666.JPG

And this one has a bunch of hair algae growing on it.
IMG_0669.JPG

I've tried using a soft bristled toothbrush to help get the algae off of them, but I'm not sure if that's the best method. How do I clean them up and what should I do to make them happy? How long can they stay all closed up like this without it harming them?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up a hydrogen peroxide dip.

I can post the recipe, but I saw that you are new, and I genuinely believe researching on your own gives you a better understanding than just getting a recipe.

Hydrogen Peroxide dip will help, for sure.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up a hydrogen peroxide dip.

I can post the recipe, but I saw that you are new, and I genuinely believe researching on your own gives you a better understanding than just getting a recipe.

Hydrogen Peroxide dip will help, for sure.
It's good to know a road to start researching, thank you.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose vitamin C in my tank for zoas !! Also worth looking into !

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good thread that has info on solving multiple problems <--- LINK.

It's lengthy, but definitely worth the read. The section you're looking for is of course the Hydrogen Peroxide section -- but all good info.
I was expecting a lot more than that when you said it was lengthy! I'll give that a try. I did a bayer dip when I got them and they've been happy for a month, it's just this transfer that's really ticked them off.
I dose vitamin C in my tank for zoas !! Also worth looking into !
I'll look into that as well, anything to keep these critters be healthy! I just put some VitaChem in my tank for the first time the other day which has 600 ppm vitamin C, maybe I'll look into another supplement too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back