Unidentified “tricolor/Read Head Fairy wrasse” Can’t find anything similar

TaylorP78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so at the fish store I work at, we got in this “tricolor fairy wrasse” aka Red head fairy wrasse and I’ve seen a lot of those they all relatively similar. They look like this…
1674017700135.jpeg

But we got one that looked very different from the other. Here’s a couple pics of him. If anyone has any idea of its species please let me know! Look closely at the pattern on the tail… haven’t seen anything like that on many other fairy wrasse besides the lineatus wrasse. That pattern is also on his dorsal fin.
Pics were taken at night so that’s why he’s hiding and kinda flared up.
1674017810385.jpeg

1674017851429.jpeg

1674017877019.jpeg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey so at the fish store I work at, we got in this “tricolor fairy wrasse” aka Red head fairy wrasse and I’ve seen a lot of those they all relatively similar. They look like this…
1674017700135.jpeg

But we got one that looked very different from the other. Here’s a couple pics of him. If anyone has any idea of its species please let me know! Look closely at the pattern on the tail… haven’t seen anything like that on many other fairy wrasse besides the lineatus wrasse. That pattern is also on his dorsal fin.
1674017810385.jpeg

1674017851429.jpeg

1674017877019.jpeg
looks like a juvenile clown head fairy wrasse or juvenile Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a terminal male C. aquamarinus.

Here's an example of C. aquamarinus with that same tail pattern:

1674059498042.png

OP
OP
TaylorP78

TaylorP78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the responses @vetteguy53081 and @SaltyT , they are much appreciated. Should’ve also mentioned his size which is about 4.5-5 inches so would he still have juvenile colors at that size? And yes that is the exact same tail pattern! That’s the most similar picture I can saw to mine. But when he’s showing his normal (non flared) colors he has that same blue gill plate, and stripe by his dorsal fin. But the body is orange, not teal. Is there any chance this is a hybrid of some of those species? Cause he looks like a red head Solon wrasse, but without the blue body. Or will he just lose the orange and develop teal over time? Cause the picture I posted showed teal but normally when he’s swimming around u can’t see it at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you all for the responses @vetteguy53081 and @SaltyT , they are much appreciated. Should’ve also mentioned his size which is about 4.5-5 inches so would he still have juvenile colors at that size? And yes that is the exact same tail pattern! That’s the most similar picture I can saw to mine. But when he’s showing his normal (non flared) colors he has that same blue gill plate, and stripe by his dorsal fin. But the body is orange, not teal. Is there any chance this is a hybrid of some of those species? Cause he looks like a red head Solon wrasse, but without the blue body. Or will he just lose the orange and develop teal over time? Cause the picture I posted showed teal but normally when he’s swimming around u can’t see it at all.
Juvenile will change with age, opposed to size

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4.5 - 5" there would be no juvenile coloration like vette guy said because of the time it takes to grow to that size; however, female coloration is possible. C. aquamarinus does hybridize with other species in its complex. If you have another photo of him that was taken while he's awake we can take a second look.

Cina05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1674017700135.jpeg

1674017810385.jpeg

1674017851429.jpeg

1674017877019.jpeg
I actually came across this article before finding your thread in my Google search. He looks like these guys: https://reefs.com/lubbocks-fairy-wr...bocki is a fish,wrasses in the aquarium trade.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back