Unknown Coral/Mushroom

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cory-girl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cory-girl

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Location
Stroudsburg, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I were doing our usual maintenance in our tank when we move a small rock which was on the sand. Underneath we found these little guys. Not sure what they are? Can someone help id them. Also, since they were under the rock I am not sure that I should expose them to bright light. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Unknown.jpg
 
That looks to be an LPS coral of some sort. Looks like 4-5 heads/mouths that I see.
 
That looks to be an LPS coral of some sort. Looks like 4-5 heads/mouths that I see.

I agree that is what is looks like but a lps would not grow under a rock unless the rock was only flipped for a bit or it was a nps coral. got a better pic? sponges can grow under a rock.
 
Rev, you think the lights in my tank will kill it after being under a rock?
You can't see it in the picture but it's a very light pink with neon green around each mouth.
Also, thank you for your help. :)
 
I agree that is what is looks like but a lps would not grow under a rock unless the rock was only flipped for a bit or it was a nps coral. got a better pic? sponges can grow under a rock.

Here are two more pics I hope will help. My husband says he turned the rock over and found them covered in sand. Never heard of a nps coral?

IMG_2456.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here are two more pics I hope will help. My husband says he turned the rock over and found them covered in sand. Never heard of a nps coral?
NPS just means non-photo synthetic - doesn't require light to grow so it will eat other foods. Does look like some lps to me though. I would turn it over and put it in a shady place for a while and see how that goes. You could then move it into the light after a while and see how it does there. Cool find though!
 
Nps coral = Non photo synthetic (does not require light).

I agree with above though it looks like some sort of favia or brain coral.
Acclimate it to the light slowly.
Possible tunicate too. But it does not look like a sponge or a tunicate.
 
Thank you so much for all your help!!! I am so excited to have found them. It's like finding treasure!! I moved them to a low light area in my tank. I will keep and eye on them and see how they do. Also, thank you all for taking your time to teach me something new (Nps).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new