Unknown disease that is spreading and killing fish

Chris Romani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help with identification of this fish disease. All water parameters are good i believe introduced a sick fish which has spread. The sick fish (royal gamma) died, and along with it a kole tang and the attached picture of this clown. I have since relocated the remaining stock into a hospital tank and treating with prazipro per the LFS recommendation. Any thoughts and other recommendations?

IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG

Ryanj71687

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help with identification of this fish disease. All water parameters are good i believe introduced a sick fish which has spread. The sick fish (royal gamma) died, and along with it a kole tang and the attached picture of this clown. I have since relocated the remaining stock into a hospital tank and treating with prazipro per the LFS recommendation. Any thoughts and other recommendations?

IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
Looks like brookylnella

OP
OP
Chris Romani

Chris Romani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brookylnella

Will this impact other fish along with clownfish? The existing clown pair that looked like this both passed but were healthy in the tank for over 6 months... would a royal gamma be able to bring this disease with him upon new introduction?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brookylnella
Yup

See link

OP
OP
Chris Romani

Chris Romani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup

See link

Is prazi pro a good treatment of choice like lfs recommended? I will keep tank fallow for 6 weeks and fish in qt tank until cleared.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that appears to be Brooklynella. All fish need to go into QT ASAP. If you have Ruby Reef Rally a 90 min bath before QT would be very beneficial, if not a 5 min FW dip will work also. Dose QT with Metro at 2 scoops per 10G for 14 days. Your DT will need to be fallow for 6 weeks.

Ryanj71687

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this impact other fish along with clownfish? The existing clown pair that looked like this both passed but were healthy in the tank for over 6 months... would a royal gamma be able to bring this disease with him upon new introduction?
Yes it will it spreads like marine velvet and is very hard to treat. Tahoe61 shared a link below

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it looks like brook and sounds like it in terms of rapid deaths

Edit - replied before I saw everyone else had you covered!

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s quite difficult to tell from the picture but what I’m seeing looks like brooklynella. It appears that the clown has milky patches of slime which are caused by proliferating ciliated protozoans. Clownfish are exceptionally susceptible to this illness. This parasite is very contagious as you’ve already noted. Stress is often what weakens a fish to this opportunistic parasite. I don’t understand the use of prazipro in this situation. I would suggest using Seachems Paraguard if the fish is in a quarantine tank at 5ml per 10gallons. Also lowering the salinity tends to slow down how quickly it spreads. I would treat the fish for a minimum of 6 days. Increase aeration in the tank as this med can reduce the amount of oxygen and the parasite attacks the fishes gills making it harder for it to breathe. Lowering the water temp to 76 degrees would probably also help. As a side note many fish contract internal parasites but brooklynella should be addressed first as it’s a quick killer. Then if necessary you can attack the internal parasites with metroplex and focus mixed with your fish food.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the brook diagnosis.

@Frtdrmrose7 has provided you with the same treatment option I would use.

It may or may not spread, I would treat all fish to be safe. It typically impacts clowns much worse than any other fish. Damsels and dottys seem to be very succeptable as well.

OP
OP
Chris Romani

Chris Romani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the information. Can one of you also provide me i formation on the prazipro? The Lfs correctly identified it too brooklynella like you all stated but then sold me a 80$ bottle of prazi and it sounds like will not help.

I will pick up ruby reef and figure out the metro product today and purchase. What is the difference between those treatments and the paraguard route? Again thank you all for info this has been an unfortunate learning experience in which i will learn from to prevent in the future

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the information. Can one of you also provide me i formation on the prazipro? The Lfs correctly identified it too brooklynella like you all stated but then sold me a 80$ bottle of prazi and it sounds like will not help.

I will pick up ruby reef and figure out the metro product today and purchase. What is the difference between those treatments and the paraguard route? Again thank you all for info this has been an unfortunate learning experience in which i will learn from to prevent in the future

$80 bottle of Prazi? Omg it sounds like you need to find a different LFS (unless it’s 1G bottle). Prazi is typically used for external flukes, certain worms etc. Prazi is not effective against brook, velvet, ich, etc.
DACA21FC-CC37-4C36-AD4F-F82B9D6DD948.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but once the fish are out of the display tank and ran through the treatment bath and in a quarantine tank, your display has to remain without fish for a minimum of 6 weeks.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your Paraguard question- no one knows exactly what is in that product because they say their blend is proprietary. Some people use it as a 30 minute bath. I would say skip the Paraguard and go for a 5 minute fw dip followed by metro in a hospital tank.

OP
OP
Chris Romani

Chris Romani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i use the ruby reef rally along with the metroplex? I picked up both just now; i saw above someone stated do a 90 minute dip... however in the rally bottle it says it is a 3 day treatment. Really want to get this metro going today... will they be safe together? Or is that a mistake?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i use the ruby reef rally along with the metroplex? I picked up both just now; i saw above someone stated do a 90 minute dip... however in the rally bottle it says it is a 3 day treatment. Really want to get this metro going today... will they be safe together? Or is that a mistake?
I would do a bath in a bucket (heated and aerated) so it doesn’t get cold then into QT with the Metro

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back