unknown mushroom (?) coral

ileolai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found a free mushroom (?) on a rock i got at my lfs. under blue light the grey bits fluoresce orange. google insists it's a rockflower anemone. I'm mostly wondering if it's safe to put in my DT after quarantine bc I don't want it stinging my fish or anything.

B0Q43vr.png

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found a free mushroom (?) on a rock i got at my lfs. under blue light the grey bits fluoresce orange. google insists it's a rockflower anemone. I'm mostly wondering if it's safe to put in my DT after quarantine bc I don't want it stinging my fish or anything.

B0Q43vr.png
That is definitely a mushroom. I assume rhodactis mushroom though I'm bad with mushroom IDs

OP
OP
ileolai

ileolai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Its a rhodactus looks very similar to the one I have which is a forest fire rhodactus.

thanks! it does look similar to a forest fire, altho the orange was much more subtle. i assume it will colour up as it settles in.

are forest fires peaceful? i have a nano full of softies and cynarinas and a pair of clowns

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! it does look similar to a forest fire, altho the orange was much more subtle. i assume it will colour up as it settles in.

are forest fires peaceful? i have a nano full of softies and cynarinas and a pair of clowns
Could be a blood red
1702393986439.png

Yes I've hear they are fairly aggressive but I have not had it remove itself from the rock I glued it to. Mine is also a very good eater and closes completely around the food like a balloon, very fascinating. I got him just for some orange in the tank since most of my stuff is neon yellow. No Issues with it so far and it seems pretty tough as I had it fall into a hole in a rock while trying to glue it and had to shake it out.

OP
OP
ileolai

ileolai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a blood red
1702393986439.png

Yes I've hear they are fairly aggressive but I have not had it remove itself from the rock I glued it to. Mine is also a very good eater and closes completely around the food like a balloon, very fascinating. I got him just for some orange in the tank since most of my stuff is neon yellow. No Issues with it so far and it seems pretty tough as I had it fall into a hole in a rock while trying to glue it and had to shake it out.
thanks!

i put it in the DT today and i think it has the potential for some really nice colours. there's orange, green and blue on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back