Unknown parasite! Please help!!

Dariokell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having an ich outbreak I quarantined all my fish for 75 day. Display was completely fallow for the full 75 days and no coral or anything else was added. While in the quarantine I dosed cupramine at .5ppm for 3 weeks, prazipro for 2 weeks, and cupramine again at .3 ppm the last 2 weeks before the 75 days were up and transferred my fish back to the display. The next day I see spots on my blue hippo but not small like ich but a bit larger. Dosed my display with prazirpo to treat for flukes. Now 2 weeks later this is what my powder blue looks like. I have no idea what it is and how it survived a 75 day fallow period of living in my display! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

C6D87A32-2446-48CA-876C-C59394C7B407.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich came back. The copper treatment should have ran for 30 days uninterrupted. I think running it for only 21, then prazi, and then again for 2 weeks gave them the opportunity to survive. If at anytime during the 30 day treatment the copper drops out of therapeutic levels, the clock restarts.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ich came back. The copper treatment should have ran for 30 days uninterrupted. I think running it for only 21, then prazi, and then again for 2 weeks gave them the opportunity to survive. If at anytime during the 30 day treatment the copper drops out of therapeutic levels, the clock restarts.
This. 14 days is enough if you transfer to a sterile quarantine afterward.

OP
OP
Dariokell

Dariokell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! The parasites are quite large though even kinda long. The almost look like some type of worm. Sorry for the blurry picture it’s the best one I could catch him with
It's ich from what I can see.

Advice above will get you ich free.
i have battled ich in the past and the photo is not too clear but these are long stringy parasites they look almost like anchor worms but I’ve never heard of anchor worms in saltwater. Ich is a lot smaller just like salt grains. These are sticking out if the fish especially around his head between the eyes. They are maybe a few millimeter long. Any other ideas as to what this may be?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! The parasites are quite large though even kinda long. The almost look like some type of worm. Sorry for the blurry picture it’s the best one I could catch him with
i have battled ich in the past and the photo is not too clear but these are long stringy parasites they look almost like anchor worms but I’ve never heard of anchor worms in saltwater. Ich is a lot smaller just like salt grains. These are sticking out if the fish especially around his head between the eyes. They are maybe a few millimeter long. Any other ideas as to what this may be?
I know these guys like to zoom around but any chance at a clearer picture so we can see what you're describing?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anchor worms are possible in SW fish. Don't see it often. Fully possible. A better clear closeup may help. Because it definitely looks like ich in pic you provided.

OP
OP
Dariokell

Dariokell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look closely you can see them protrude from his head, eye and fins. There kinda long

4E53D99F-1C38-47D3-9320-6A9F251BA637.png

OP
OP
Dariokell

Dariokell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anchor worms are possible in SW fish. Don't see it often. Fully possible. A better clear closeup may help. Because it definitely looks like ich in pic you provided.
Here the best one I could take. On this one you can see the length on these suckers a bit more.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all I could find from humblefish
Anchor Worms:

Symptoms - Anchor worms appear as red or inflamed skin irritations with little whitish-green worms sticking out. The tail of the worm makes a V. Often a fish will rub on rocks and sand in an attempt to dislodge the worm(s).

Treatment options - You have to manually remove all the anchor worms by using tweezers. Afterwards, apply a topical antibiotic to the affected areas. Dimilin will eradicate anchor worm eggs in a quarantine tank, but the medication is not reef safe.

OP
OP
Dariokell

Dariokell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all I could find from humblefish
Anchor Worms:

Symptoms - Anchor worms appear as red or inflamed skin irritations with little whitish-green worms sticking out. The tail of the worm makes a V. Often a fish will rub on rocks and sand in an attempt to dislodge the worm(s).

Treatment options - You have to manually remove all the anchor worms by using tweezers. Afterwards, apply a topical antibiotic to the affected areas. Dimilin will eradicate anchor worm eggs in a quarantine tank, but the medication is not reef safe.
Thank you I will look further into anchor worms! I’ll have to setup my trap to treat. It’s hard catching fish in a 1,000gal full of rock

OP
OP
Dariokell

Dariokell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it now. May very well be anchor worms.
Thank you for your help! I did dump the correct dose of prazipro on my main display which was 210 ml but that was days ago and apparently nothing happened as they look worse

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Hope you are able to clear the fish of whatever it has! We gotta see this tank! 1,000 gallons?!

Looks like you got some of the best guys here to try and help you out!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens sometimes (especially with tangs) following exposure to copper. It might be a "skin rash" or bacterial disease (Kanaplex + Metroplex has been known to clear it). However, I suspect it's actually a latent virus and copper just triggers the outbreak. Similar to Lymphocystis, but presents more on the body instead of the fins/spines.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back