Unknown Rare Fairy Wrasse

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I was doing late night picture shopping on a few peeps on facebook and ran into a picture of this wrasse. It looks familiar but I can't think of a name for it.

Notice how it looks like a pylei but with a distinct black dorsal.

Any guesses? I hope Route 66 doesn't mind me using their photo.

378915_299904853382975_577243762_n.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
buddythelion

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a Japanese Lunate Fairy wrasse, Wish I could see the tail to know for sure. Google Image Result for http://www.qualitymarine.com/Image.aspx?page=large&id=1337747

Ah, Lunatus! I knew it looked familiar. Thank guys for helping me out. It might not be nearly as rare as it used to be, but it's still not your everyday wrasse.

@ Evolved: If you wouldn't mind, could you share the aggression (if any at all) the Crescent Tail Wrasse has with other fairies? Or if it's one of those docile types that is more likely to be bullied.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, Lunatus! I knew it looked familiar. Thank guys for helping me out. It might not be nearly as rare as it used to be, but it's still not your everyday wrasse.

@ Evolved: If you wouldn't mind, could you share the aggression (if any at all) the Crescent Tail Wrasse has with other fairies? Or if it's one of those docile types that is more likely to be bullied.
Oh agree; still not a "common" wrasse.

In a tank full of wrasses, and he does just fine. Pretty much middle of the road for docile/aggression. He's pretty passive, and can be chased by the others, but if they chase him too much, he stands up to them.

I once watched my eightline flasher pick on him briefly three times in a row, and upon the third approach, the lunatus chased the eightline into a corner. They left each other alone after that. :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once watched my eightline flasher pick on him briefly three times in a row, and upon the third approach, the lunatus chased the eightline into a corner. They left each other alone after that. :)
nice! 1smile1

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back