Unknown Worm

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some 5+ year old Fiji rock and it came with a small (1 inch or smaller) red worm of some kind. Looked similar to a centipede.I didn’t have time to take a picture of it before it crawled into the rock

I see in other posts people talking about good and bad bristle worms, and the dangerous bobbit worms. What can I do to get it out of the rock, or get rid of it entirely? Is there a way to get it out or kill it without harming the rock bacteria/algae?

Any help would be appreciated! I’m currently very concerned.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some 5+ year old Fiji rock and it came with a small (1 inch or smaller) red worm of some kind. Looked similar to a centipede.I didn’t have time to take a picture of it before it crawled into the rock

I see in other posts people talking about good and bad bristle worms, and the dangerous bobbit worms. What can I do to get it out of the rock, or get rid of it entirely? Is there a way to get it out or kill it without harming the rock bacteria/algae?

Any help would be appreciated! I’m currently very concerned.
My advice is to not do anything until/unless you see it again. There's a very good chance it's a common bristleworm (some of which are harmless fireworms as well) and is good for your tank.

You added the live rock for biodiversity - be happy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back