Unknown

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture, yesterday morning started to see symptoms of what I thought was ich. People on here were indifferent with talks about velvet. I treated him with copper and the best I could. Less than 24 hours later he is gone.
Pic1 is how I found him
Pic2 is 'ich'i think it is actually just sand
Pic3 is the unknown spot

What is this spot? Is this what killed him? None of the other fish in the tank have signs, I have had this guy for only 4 months but was fine
IMAG3150.jpeg
received_646746292333188.jpeg
IMAG3181.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture, yesterday morning started to see symptoms of what I thought was ich. People on here were indifferent with talks about velvet. I treated him with copper and the best I could. Less than 24 hours later he is gone.
Pic1 is how I found him
Pic2 is 'ich'i think it is actually just sand
Pic3 is the unknown spot

What is this spot? Is this what killed him? None of the other fish in the tank have signs, I have had this guy for only 4 months but was fine
IMAG3150.jpeg
received_646746292333188.jpeg
IMAG3181.jpeg
If the illness took him that fast I would be more inclined to believe it was velvet. Ich generally doesn't kill that fast. Weird that none of your other fish are effected though. Anyone else from #reefsquad have any ideas? @Humblefish

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the illness took him that fast I would be more inclined to believe it was velvet. Ich generally doesn't kill that fast. Weird that none of your other fish are effected though. Anyone else from #reefsquad have any ideas? @Humblefish

Ya he was swimming in the morning, then I went out for a quick 9 holes came back and that's what he looked like, that spot on his back is what's confusing

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya he was swimming in the morning, then I went out for a quick 9 holes came back and that's what he looked like, that spot on his back is what's confusing
Are the rest of your fish in your quarantine tank now or still in the display?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the display, I don't have the room to house 20 fish the other tangs look good, I am on my way to get a massive uv sterilizer right now
IMAG3173.jpeg
IMAG3165.jpeg
IMAG3172.jpeg
Keep a very close eye on them. If velvet is in the tank then every fish in the tank runs the risk of becoming ill.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't this fish being treated in a 5 gallon bucket? Are you sure there was no ammonia build up in there? I would think there was after 24 hours or so and no filtration. Definitely looked like velvet and from experience I can say it doesn't take long to wipe out an entire tank. :mad:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is now a massive bump on his side
IMAG3187.jpeg
I thought you said earlier he died? Is it not the same fish?

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said earlier he died? Is it not the same fish?
I thought we was dead, I left him in there while I went to grab the sterilizer, one fin was moving that's it, he is limp and being blown against a rock right now fave die tail up just like this morning, I am thinking any second now he is going to die, I am going to leave him in the copper and by some miracle he comes around.

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I grabbed him this morning though there was absolutely no movement from him

OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the worst has happened, I was at the LFS and they said it could be cyanide, just random death. So many possibilities, however I took a couple more shots, the second one to me is a little weird granted I have never done an autopsy before. But the black spots every where are confusing. I cut it around the bump and this is what I found. Mostly water came out but these black spots are what I don't know about.
IMAG3191.jpeg
IMAG3192.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I and many others told you that you have velvet. A UV sterilizer isn’t going to fix that

2) Keeping that tang in a bucket was a slow painful death.

3) You bought a $500 UV sterilizer instead of $100-$200 on a full quarantine system to treat these fish?

4) Cyanide is almost certainly not the culprit here. That poor fish.

I know I’m being direct with you, I mean well but I want you to know what the future holds for you. We were right thus far. Please do what’s right to care for your fish. Good luck.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some really beautiful fish! I'd assume you want to keep all of them. The evidence shown from that naso likely allowed velvet to complete a cycle and it reproduces and multiplies at an incredible rate.

IMO a QT is the only way to be sure you don't lose any more fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chewy tabacca

chewy tabacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out I got a marine biologist to look at the picture when I cut the fish open, she said he either had cancer, or poisoning, I asked her of it could have been cyonid when it was caught. She said it was a possibility. Something was wrong internally with the fish, she couldn't really tell by the picture. All other fish are doing 100% and now I am a proud owner of a UV sterilizer lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back