OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what arrived!! A quick and dirty look at the contents of the mini complete tank box. The only thing I'm not seeing is the heater I ordered, but that might still be in my mailbox (oops).
20210905_133709.jpg
20210905_133911.jpg
20210905_133940.jpg
20210905_134052.jpg
20210905_134210.jpg

faceymcfaceface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maddlesrain,​

Any chance you can update the original post in this thread with all the updates and rules that have occurred so far?

I've been through the thread once and caught the 0.5 gallon limit for addons but I am unsure if there have been any other rules or changes.

Would be nice to have it all upfront and in one place.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maddlesrain,​

Any chance you can update the original post in this thread with all the updates and rules that have occurred so far?

I've been through the thread once and caught the 0.5 gallon limit for addons but I am unsure if there have been any other rules or changes.

Would be nice to have it all upfront and in one place.

Thanks!
Unfortunately I can't go back and edit, however, here is a re-post of the updated rules (can also be found on page 3, I believe):

Hey everyone, here is an updated list of rules, requirements, and start time for our contest.

The agreed on start date has been moved to OCT. 1st
It's a soft start date though, so as long as you get water in it by the 31st, you're in the contest! All future updates on your tank will need to be made by the 5th of each month.

The initial soft start date is to accommodate members that may have shipping delays, so that everyone can participate. I think it's fair to require that everyone has their tanks ordered by the start date, and can prove that the tank was purchased by this date if there is a major shipping delay so that people aren't straggling in randomly. This will make the contest more fair for all participating members.

The gist of the contest:
[ ] Create a unique MCT
[ ] Run time: 12 months
[ ] Start date: Oct. 1, 2021
[ ] End date: Oct. 1, 2022
[ ] Monthly check-ins: by the 5th of each month.

Other general rules:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose (within guidelines)--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, monitoring, ect.
3. Equipment and mods can be made at any time during the contest. Again, this is part of the fun!
4. NO PLUMBING TO LARGER SYSTEMS. Any add-on water volume (refugium, sump, ect. cannot exceed .5 gallons). This is a pico tank contest after all.
5. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY (by the 5th) updates to the communal thread. Contestants may (please do!) also create personal build threads to document their progress. The communal thread will be used to keep track of everyone.
6. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build. All coral and small invertebrates are fair game.
7. No fish.
8. This is a friendly contest; please only offer criticism if it's asked for by other members. We're all here to have fun and see what we can create in such a tiny space
9. Everyone gets one "warning" or "free pass" for a late update. After a second missed update, you'll be disqualified from the final judging. I think this is fair to keep everyone accountable and in the loop! If there's a conflict such as vacation please reach out and we can figure something out. Again, this is for fun, but I also want to make it fair for everyone playing.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't go back and edit, however, here is a re-post of the updated rules (can also be found on page 3, I believe):

Hey everyone, here is an updated list of rules, requirements, and start time for our contest.

The agreed on start date has been moved to OCT. 1st
It's a soft start date though, so as long as you get water in it by the 31st, you're in the contest! All future updates on your tank will need to be made by the 5th of each month.

The initial soft start date is to accommodate members that may have shipping delays, so that everyone can participate. I think it's fair to require that everyone has their tanks ordered by the start date, and can prove that the tank was purchased by this date if there is a major shipping delay so that people aren't straggling in randomly. This will make the contest more fair for all participating members.

The gist of the contest:
[ ] Create a unique MCT
[ ] Run time: 12 months
[ ] Start date: Oct. 1, 2021
[ ] End date: Oct. 1, 2022
[ ] Monthly check-ins: by the 5th of each month.

Other general rules:

1. Everyone MUST start with a new (to you) MCT; Tank must also be dry at the start of the contest to make it fair.
2. Each contestant can modify their MCT however they choose (within guidelines)--this includes adding DIY lighting, flow, ATO, monitoring, ect.
3. Equipment and mods can be made at any time during the contest. Again, this is part of the fun!
4. NO PLUMBING TO LARGER SYSTEMS. Any add-on water volume (refugium, sump, ect. cannot exceed .5 gallons). This is a pico tank contest after all.
5. To stay in the running for ultimate mini complete tank master, contestants will need to post MONTHLY (by the 5th) updates to the communal thread. Contestants may (please do!) also create personal build threads to document their progress. The communal thread will be used to keep track of everyone.
6. Livestock can be sourced from other displays, or bought specifically for this build. All coral and small invertebrates are fair game.
7. No fish.
8. This is a friendly contest; please only offer criticism if it's asked for by other members. We're all here to have fun and see what we can create in such a tiny space
9. Everyone gets one "warning" or "free pass" for a late update. After a second missed update, you'll be disqualified from the final judging. I think this is fair to keep everyone accountable and in the loop! If there's a conflict such as vacation please reach out and we can figure something out. Again, this is for fun, but I also want to make it fair for everyone playing.
Throwing a bookmark on this so I can keep track of it ;)

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm not in the contest and its the 5th lol. Here is just a small update. I currently have diatoms and a bit of algae. They current shot shows it is ready for a cleaning. I have added Tisbee and Tigger pods to the tanks. I believe I may have found a mysis shrimp as well but it eluded me to ID.

1 to 2 of the sps had initial slight tissue loss but seems to be just about stopped and begin to forming the initial halt with the edge being more defined of where tissue loss stopped.

This loght is very strong. Turned up to 3rd(highest) setting. Each time corals loose pigment. This is why it seems duller today. Keeping it at 2nd setting seems to work well. Polyps have good extension at night and mid day and start closing up before lights out. I will probably clean the tanks tomorrow.
20210905_193128.jpg

20210905_193140.jpg
20210905_193144.jpg
20210905_193149.jpg
20210905_193243.jpg

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do we need to post our updates starting October 5th?
For the month of October you can post anytime from the 1st to the 31st. The first is preferred for every month, but everyone gets the extra grace period to post up through the 5th to account for life happenings.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL ANNOUNCEMENT: Tank.Mods ( https://www.tankmods.com/ ) will be shipping out tanks to help with our competition tomorrow. The official post is on instagram ( ) If you have not ordered yet and want to be apart, you can order today for tomorrows shipping date. This is within the US.

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL ANNOUNCEMENT: Tank.Mods ( https://www.tankmods.com/ ) will be shipping out tanks to help with our competition tomorrow. The official post is on instagram ( ) If you have not ordered yet and want to be apart, you can order today for tomorrows shipping date. This is within the US.

Glad one of those is mine

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys would like(not sure if I'm too late here) you can use our vendor forum for this thread. I can also make a post to bring people to this one in case they're interested... it can be an **officially** unofficial mini complete tank contest. Up to you all!
You guys are awesome!!

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys would like(not sure if I'm too late here) you can use our vendor forum for this thread. I can also make a post to bring people to this one in case they're interested... it can be an **officially** unofficial mini complete tank contest. Up to you all!
Yeah, that sounds great to me! Mods could possibly move this thread over to the vendor page as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back