UNS 3N Pico Reef

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about you, but this quarantine thing is driving me crazy. Since I'm stuck at home, I figured I would finally get around to setting up a pico reef. I need a small tank that is easy to move, so I decided to use my UNS 3N tank, which is roughly 3 gallons.

uns-3n-day1.jpg

Equipment List
- UNS 3N
- Tetra heater
- Aquaclear 20
- AI Prime HD

Livestock
- TBD

I am thinking of a zoa dominated tank with some acans, but time will tell. Any suggestions for livestock would be appreciated. I am thinking of adding a clown goby and a cleaner shrimp to add some movement to the tank.

rjmurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice- go for it!

I just started a 2.5 AIO pico shroom tank and loving it now with all this going on. Enjoy!

KiloReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome plan, I work EMS so I’m currently even more busy than normal with all this quarantine situation going on. I have a 5g coming in the mail tomorrow due to the lack of activities to do outside the house. I wanted to use an AI prime also, I was just concerned about all the light spilling over the small tank as it will be on my desk. I don’t want it blinding me while I am sitting there. For livestock ideas maybe add a rock flower anemone or two, they look great in small tanks!

OP
OP
kraken14

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to use an AI prime also, I was just concerned about all the light spilling over the small tank as it will be on my desk.

I'm considering getting a diffuser for the light. Right now I just have a par38 led bulb until I tear down my other tank. As for livestock, I have a geometric pygmy hawkfish coming in Thursday, and I was actually looking at rock flower anemones! Do they need a sand bed? I have a piece of starboard instead of a sand bed.

IMG_20200324_145430.jpg

OP
OP
kraken14

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Once the Tank matures a bit more, I’ll see if I can find some rock flowers.

KiloReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting a diffuser for the light. Right now I just have a par38 led bulb until I tear down my other tank. As for livestock, I have a geometric pygmy hawkfish coming in Thursday, and I was actually looking at rock flower anemones! Do they need a sand bed? I have a piece of starboard instead of a sand bed.

IMG_20200324_145430.jpg
My wife has an AI Prime on her 24 cube and it spills out lots of light if with the 3D printed deflector thing. My rock flower nems settled in a piece of rock work pretty much instantly. I was considering a par38 however I’m unsure if I could keep a higher light demanding corals with it.

OP
OP
kraken14

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the par38 bulb would work for shallow tanks, but I doubt one would be enough for high light corals in tanks deeper than 12 inches. A Kessil a80 may be a better fit if you want minimal light spillage.

OP
OP
kraken14

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my prime set up for this tank and added a clean up crew fish should be here any time.

IMG_20200325_191134.jpg

OP
OP
kraken14

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape! Following!

I too was driven to the pico by quarantine boredom lol. May we both have luck with it!

Nice! I am really enjoying the tank! I just got a diffuser for the AI Prime. I like it so far, other than the fact that the black model was out of stock. The white is nice too!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back