UNS 60A AIO Reef

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a new build thread for my tank that used to be a mantis shrimp tank but is now fully a reef tank. I got this current tank just less than a year ago (beginning of august 2022) but used rock and sand from my old tank which I busted the corner of during a move.

Tank is a UNS 60A which is about 20 gallons and is an AIO. I’m running the stock pump, filter floss, pura pad, and I cut up the original sponge it came with. Also occasionally running phosguard and carbon (will be refreshing that later this week with a wc ahead of receiving my WWC sale frags). I’ve got an AI Prime and Nero 3 for lighting and extra flow (will be posting those schedules in a bit, open to feedback on the flow especially, lighting schedule I downloaded off WWC). I’ve also got an Eshopps skimmer in the back that just barely fits when propped on some ceramic media bags (definitely not ideal but the skimmer works so ‍♀️). Finally I have a Tunze nano ATO and a fluval heater.

Currently I’ve got an orange tail blue damsel that I’ve had about 9 months or so, an urchin (pincushion I think but not sure, definitely not a tuxedo tho) and some various hermits and snails (tho could probably use a few fresh snails).

For coral I’ve got some zoas that I got at aquashella chicago last year that when purchased looked different but now look very similar (and are struggle bussin bc of the algae atm), some clove polyps also from aquashella chicago, some AOIs that are doing really well that I’ve had since february this year, a rainbow infusion zoa that’s really seen some and is recovering (damsel loves to knock it off and hide it in the rocks). I’ve got a blue discosoma mushroom that is very happy atop a rock so I can only see it from above, an orangey ricordea with some rainbow colors to it that I got back in March of this year, some gsp on a rock that’s going to be relocated to hopefully grow on the back glass that I also got a few months ago. Finally, this past week from the LFS I picked up a rock with 3 green discosoma mushrooms with some blue dots on em, an orange and blue rhodactis mushroom, and a nice rock flower anemone (which is my first anemone).

Picks are from last year when I first set it up and today. Hair algae has been a struggle since the Dawn of this tank, largely due to having a mantis shrimp which would snack on my CUC. Now however, some recent vacations have meant that wcs fell to the wayside which I believe is partly responsible for a recent uptick in algae, and I’m definitely open to suggestions on any additions to look into that can help clean it up since it seems to be outcompeting the urchin atm. My orange tail damsel is fairly aggressive (it unalived an orange spotted goby, though I also should’ve used an acclimation box and I’ll be trying that in the future).

3E91D6BB-2586-429B-90EE-B3908AC301A3.jpeg IMG_5068.jpeg IMG_5069.jpeg IMG_5070.jpeg IMG_5073.jpeg

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright and here are my Prime and Nero 3 schedules, again any feedback especially on the Nero 3 would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_5077.png
    IMG_5077.png
    55 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5078.png
    IMG_5078.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5079.png
    IMG_5079.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 33

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a new build thread for my tank that used to be a mantis shrimp tank but is now fully a reef tank. I got this current tank just less than a year ago (beginning of august 2022) but used rock and sand from my old tank which I busted the corner of during a move.

Tank is a UNS 60A which is about 20 gallons and is an AIO. I’m running the stock pump, filter floss, pura pad, and I cut up the original sponge it came with. Also occasionally running phosguard and carbon (will be refreshing that later this week with a wc ahead of receiving my WWC sale frags). I’ve got an AI Prime and Nero 3 for lighting and extra flow (will be posting those schedules in a bit, open to feedback on the flow especially, lighting schedule I downloaded off WWC). I’ve also got an Eshopps skimmer in the back that just barely fits when propped on some ceramic media bags (definitely not ideal but the skimmer works so ‍♀️). Finally I have a Tunze nano ATO and a fluval heater.

Currently I’ve got an orange tail blue damsel that I’ve had about 9 months or so, an urchin (pincushion I think but not sure, definitely not a tuxedo tho) and some various hermits and snails (tho could probably use a few fresh snails).

For coral I’ve got some zoas that I got at aquashella chicago last year that when purchased looked different but now look very similar (and are struggle bussin bc of the algae atm), some clove polyps also from aquashella chicago, some AOIs that are doing really well that I’ve had since february this year, a rainbow infusion zoa that’s really seen some and is recovering (damsel loves to knock it off and hide it in the rocks). I’ve got a blue discosoma mushroom that is very happy atop a rock so I can only see it from above, an orangey ricordea with some rainbow colors to it that I got back in March of this year, some gsp on a rock that’s going to be relocated to hopefully grow on the back glass that I also got a few months ago. Finally, this past week from the LFS I picked up a rock with 3 green discosoma mushrooms with some blue dots on em, an orange and blue rhodactis mushroom, and a nice rock flower anemone (which is my first anemone).

Picks are from last year when I first set it up and today. Hair algae has been a struggle since the Dawn of this tank, largely due to having a mantis shrimp which would snack on my CUC. Now however, some recent vacations have meant that wcs fell to the wayside which I believe is partly responsible for a recent uptick in algae, and I’m definitely open to suggestions on any additions to look into that can help clean it up since it seems to be outcompeting the urchin atm. My orange tail damsel is fairly aggressive (it unalived an orange spotted goby, though I also should’ve used an acclimation box and I’ll be trying that in the future).

3E91D6BB-2586-429B-90EE-B3908AC301A3.jpeg IMG_5068.jpeg IMG_5069.jpeg IMG_5070.jpeg IMG_5073.jpeg
Great looking tank!

OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else keep a note in their phone on what they want in their tank and plans going forward? Well here’s mine.

This is the stuff I wanna add going forward and stuff that I’ve recently added from the list. I have a micromussa and a leather coming next week from WWC which I’m Very excited about. If it does well I eventually want a micromussa garden of different varieties, and I want a group of rock flower anemones as well, the one I recently got is doing well and I think has found a spot it likes.

Let’s talk fish. So right now, I have a pretty aggressive orange tail damsel, and I don’t think he’s gonna tolerate anyone else in the tank because he’s been there so long and there’s not a lot of room for fish to get away from him. However, I do like him and think he’s pretty, and he’s very reactive whenever I’m at the tank he always goes to his feeding spot now which is fun, so I’m not in a rush to get rid of him.

However, I think down the line I’m considering rehoming him and if I do, this is what I want to add instead. First thing will be a pistol shrimp and goby pair, I want one of the more colorful pistol shrimps but I’m not sure which gobies pair with which so will be researching that.

If I’m Still having hair algae problems I’ll be getting a cb court hester goby from biota. I might still get one either way, they’re such a cool looking fish.

I’m torn on if I’d wanna get clowns or not, if I do it’ll be young fancy ones so they’re small.

Finally, I wanna do a target mandarin (also cb obviously). If and when I do, I’ll be doing my best to pellet train it and feed frozen throughout, and reseeding with pods on occasion. My tank is about to hit the year mark and this would probably be something I’d be looking to add several months from now at the earliest. This is partly why I’m hesitant about the clowns at this point.

If I don’t do the clowns there’s a lot of other cool nano fish I’d consider like fire fish, blennies, some basslets. Who knows.

I also really want a scoly at some point but probably not for another year, and depend on how well the micromussa do.

Attachments

• IMG_5122.png
    IMG_5122.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re here! I got a green ogre Aussie lord and a soloman hairy leather from WWCs recent R2R sale and they’ve finally arrived! Got em acclimated, gonna dip them and some other stuff later this week probably but man do they look good. This is my first ever for both of these types of coral and I’m very excited. My first LPS in this build as well, and finally no mantis shrimp to steal it for his burrow lol. One photo without and one with an orange filter. The green on this Aussie lord really Pops. Got em on a frag rack for now so I can adjust their height as they acclimate, got em fairly low in the tank. Not quite sure where I want to place them in the tank long term but I’ve got a few ideas. Probably on this left side since I have a lot of other coral on the right already.

Attachments

• IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5185.jpeg
    IMG_5185.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
F

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while! Tank is a few months past the 1 year mark now and settling in. My algae is currently outcompeting two urchins (one tuxedo one pincushion) so I’m looking into some lettuce nudibranchs. Recent test has all at 9.1, cal 430, mag at 1260, and phosphate at .81 so still elevated, hence the algae. But all in all not bad for infrequent water changes lately. The micromussa from WWC is looking happy and colorful and the leather I got at the same time is growing like crazy. And the little green discosoma mushrooms are putting out babies like crazy.

Recently added a new emerald crab and some new nassarius snails.

Looking into the new sicce heater to upgrade bc my biggest problem/fear is my heater running dry when my RODI runs out.

Attachments

• IMG_6632.jpeg
    IMG_6632.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6633.jpeg
    IMG_6633.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 4B98DE56-4DCC-41CB-BEC2-BAD527CBFDC7.jpeg
    4B98DE56-4DCC-41CB-BEC2-BAD527CBFDC7.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6515.jpeg
    IMG_6515.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 31

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back