Unscripted-Aquarium

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone messed with this thing at all? Ran into it online and read a bit up on it, and wondering if it actually works? Apparently through electrolysis it binds things in the water, similar to Coral Snow? True, or just a scam?

Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can explain it?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apparently reefbuilders liked it, but idk, they never really explain how it works either

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I read the article but didn't seem to go very in depth.
Right? They even write that they contacted the company and had them explain how it worked, then didn't proceed to tell us the info. They also only tested on freshwater tanks so idk if it will even translate over well to salt. Maybe there is another article out there but this is the most i could find
I've actually tried to learn more about this device but so far I haven't gotten much. The inventor claims it works in a way similar to electrocoagulation but different in some way that he's not willing to elaborate on or something like that. I was talking to him on a reddit post yesterday but he wasn't willing to explain how it works so I'm trying to look up his patent application now but that can be a pretty long process

BattleReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been curious about this product myself. I don’t necessarily have a need for it, but the technology intrigues me. I too did a fair amount of searching and couldn’t find much more than threads on here filled with people arguing over why it won’t work with basically zero scientific backing, even theory based. My professional background is based in utilities and have been around water treatment for quite a while. This coagulation process through charging of particles is not new, it’s used quite frequently. What their website, threads, reefbuilders review, and other related articles show is a likely practice use in FW tanks. My concern is its impact on saltwater, and more specifically reef tanks. Their website claims it’s perfectly fine and they give a very vague claim as to why it won’t impact calcium, alkalinity and other things. None of which are really backed by science. I think there is potential for the technology, but we need answers to the following:

Does the increased conductivity of saltwater change the attributes of the output and potentially emit excess or harmful electricity into the tank

What impact will coagulation have onto elements we strive to maintain in our tanks both major and minor

If they claim a grounding probe is not compatible, that’s leads me to believe the device could allow for stray voltage

Provide actual test data with a precision meter showing no additional stray voltage into a tank. As well as additional tests like their video on the website but measured against a control

I’m half tempted to just buy one, I don’t really care about $100, in this hobby that’s a drop in the bucket. My only hesitation is adverse effects that end up being detrimental to my tank. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on one just so I can help try to provide a non bias opinion of its effectiveness for a reef tank.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 50 84.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back