Unsure How to Proceed With my Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schlafrig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Schlafrig

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2025
Messages
109
Reaction score
56
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give some context of my dilemma, I currently have a 25 Lagoon that has been going strong for awhile now.

However Im not really in love with the rock scape, I feel like it is too tall for the tank. I orginally had it in a 29 gallon which had a lot more height so it wasnt an issue then.

Next order of business is I will be moving within the next year or so. Curently the rock work is epoxied together which im worried is going to make moving it difficult with the coral on it. I was considering breaking it down and making a shorter scape that didnt use epoxy or anything.

The main reason I want to lower the scape is because I would like to try and grow some sps corals. Currently I feel like there just isnt enough height for them to grow. But Im also wondering if i should even try to start sps before moving because I would be worried about them getting damaged during the move.

Im open to all suggestions, I eventually want to setup a larger tank but thats for after I move.
20250621_202246.jpg
 
If I was in your position I wouldn't get any new corals or fish till after the move. Also, I would just keep the rock structure intact since you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank. It won't be a problem there and you can keep all your corals and everything together without having to separate.
 
Just coming from a move and was in a very similar situation, i did not make any changes to anything until everything was moved and settled. I still havent made any upgrades really to this date (just moved).

Recommend holding on to what you have until you're sure.

Side note, i used to have a IM 25 lagoon. Was great. Moved it to a much larger tank but held on to everything. Now i have the lagoon as a bubble nem tank and couldnt be happier with it. Key for me was that less is more. Only had 3 rocks at that time with SPS. Also doubled my water movement with 2 sicce returns.

Here is a shot of it back in 2016 or 2017 i think...
20250621_200534.jpg
 
If I was in your position I wouldn't get any new corals or fish till after the move. Also, I would just keep the rock structure intact since you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank. It won't be a problem there and you can keep all your corals and everything together without having to separate.
I plan on keeping this tank running and the eventual new tank. I do think youre right with the fact i should hold off for now. If anything I might get a few frags and just keep them in a rack till I move.
 
Just coming from a move and was in a very similar situation, i did not make any changes to anything until everything was moved and settled. I still havent made any upgrades really to this date (just moved).

Recommend holding on to what you have until you're sure.

Side note, i used to have a IM 25 lagoon. Was great. Moved it to a much larger tank but held on to everything. Now i have the lagoon as a bubble nem tank and couldnt be happier with it. Key for me was that less is more. Only had 3 rocks at that time with SPS. Also doubled my water movement with 2 sicce returns.

Here is a shot of it back in 2016 or 2017 i think...
20250621_200534.jpg
I thought about doing a nem tank, do you have any pictures of it now?
 
Just coming from a move and was in a very similar situation, i did not make any changes to anything until everything was moved and settled. I still havent made any upgrades really to this date (just moved).

Recommend holding on to what you have until you're sure.

Side note, i used to have a IM 25 lagoon. Was great. Moved it to a much larger tank but held on to everything. Now i have the lagoon as a bubble nem tank and couldnt be happier with it. Key for me was that less is more. Only had 3 rocks at that time with SPS. Also doubled my water movement with 2 sicce returns.

Here is a shot of it back in 2016 or 2017 i think...
20250621_200534.jpg
I thought about doing a nem tank, do you have any pictures of it now?
I don't have any recent good ones but here's one after the move (moved across country 2 weeks ago)
20250621_212012.jpg


Here's a pic of my tomato in his fav from a while back
20250621_212208.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new