Unused saltwater question

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about using saltwater I premixed but didn't use. I mixed up a batch of salt water for a water change from my RODI and reef crystals but only used 2/3rds of it. I forgot to turn the circulating pump back on and it has sat for 2 weeks.

Is this safe to use if I add more RODI and salt to it? Or should I dump it and not use it at all?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check the salinity and adjust, then remix

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's for fish only, then check salinity, ammonia, and ph. If it's for reef, then you will need to check kh, phosphate, magnesium, iodine, and calcium in addition to what's mentioned for fish only.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's for fish only, then check salinity, ammonia, and ph. If it's for reef, then you will need to check kh, phosphate, magnesium, iodine, and calcium in addition to what's mentioned for fish only.
The ph will equaliZe to outside air like a glass of water will do you won't get any info there. Ammonia only if the bucket has organics that have rotted. Kh mag iodine cal will be as marked on the manufactures specs.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ph will equaliZe to outside air like a glass of water will do you won't get any info there. Ammonia only if the bucket has organics that have rotted. Kh mag iodine cal will be as marked on the manufactures specs.

Those are true but since we don't know much of anything else about the op's tank and setup, i would suggest to err on the conservative side.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tank dont have much to do with the water in a bucket. Cal Alk and Mag should be the same as when it was first mixed since there is nothing in the bucket to consume it. Might be a little higher maybe from evap from sitting but that can be fixed by checking salinity and adjusting as needed. From there you honestly would not even have to really mix it except enough to mix the top off water in and its good to go. Water might be a little stagnant and low on o2 from sitting but as soon as it hits the tank that issue will be solved especially if you mixed top off water to it and mixed it first.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not any more info, it's for a fowlr tank and has been in a clean barrel without heat or circulation but will do that before using. And will be mixed with more before adding.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are true but since we don't know much of anything else about the op's tank and setup, i would suggest to err on the conservative side.
It says reef crystals in the op.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says reef crystals in the op.

I don't think I've given op any wrong advice. It's just a difference of opinion between you and I. There is no reason for this kind of meaningless come back since I've said nothing wrong & the op has heard enough.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've given op any wrong advice. It's just a difference of opinion between you and I. There is no reason for this kind of meaningless come back since I've said nothing wrong & the op has heard enough.
ok

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it, just check the salinity and heat it back up. I do it all the time. I mix up 60 gallons at a time and use 30 for a water change and the other 30 sits until my next water change (which sometimes is up to a month). With RC you might have a little settling (a tanish gunk that percipitates out) but the water is still OK. When I used RC I just never syphoned from the bottom of the barrel (I lifted my pump up about an inch). I have since switched salts to a cleaner salt and now I use every last drop and it stays clear all the way down.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone ! ! I guess I am going to use it then :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back