Unusual algae or something in my tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimadams3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jimadams3

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time posting here so be gentle. I have a 125gal reef tank that is 2yrs old. A few months ago, I started seeing this algae or something start growing in my tank that I'll try to describe. It's rust colored, grows in flakes. It's not slimy or stringy, it will blow around if you blast it. It covers the sand bed and live rock, doesn't bother the corals. You can siphon some of it out but it's not easy. My tank parameters are within normal ranges. I have metal halides for lighting. I run GFO to keep phosphate as close to zero as I can. No carbon dosing. Use two-part for Ca and Alk. Anyone ever see this before, what is it? How do you get rid of it? Thanks for looking.
 
Hello and welcome to r2r :welcome: Do you have any pictures that you could post of what you are talking about, might help in figuring out what you have going on.
 
Hello and welcome! I have not seen what you are describing but there are different kinds of coralline algae. It may be something like that. Pictures would really help. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new