Unusual Inverts

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS Max Nano that I wasn’t to have small inverts I may not be able to keep in my 4’ tank for whatever reason.
I’ve so far looked into:
- Fire Shrimp
- Periclimenes shrimp
- Dwarf Feather Dusters
- Mythrax/Emerald Crabs

I’m going heavy SPS with maybe 1-2 LPS just in the bottom. It’s not really any specific reason - I do have rather fast film growth especially now we’re hitting summer.
My current inverts are:
1 Blue Leg Hermit
4 Trochus snails
2 Nassarius snails
1 Bumblebee whelk
1 Strawberry conch
1 Pom Pom Crab

Id love some recommendations!
I also have 9 fish total (6 gobies, a blenny and two wrasses). However my rockwork is porous and has many hiding spaces in it for smaller shrimp.
image.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unusual inverts (not necessarily applicable to your size of tank, but here's a short list):
* Sea cucumbers (black, pink & green)
* Radiant (fire) urchins
* Tube anemones
* Flame scallops
* Horseshoe crabs
* Hawaiian strawberry crab (personal favorite)
* Abalone (another favorite - slug life!)

I also have an ever-expanding collection of miscellaneous hermit crabs - all of which I was able to identify at one point but which I've since forgot.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fire urchin! Okay, don't do that.

How about a keyhole limpet, a.k.a the "elephant slug"? I love to watch them ooze over the glass, and they're a lovely black colour which is unusual for aquarium gastropods. They're listed as "?" for reef tanks, although they haven't eaten any of my coral (yet).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 or 3 emerald crabs roaming around in my 120 gal, they are cool creatures. Ill randomly see a claw come out of a rock and see they are still around.

Id suggest a conch & nassarius but you already have them.

Consider a urchin? Im considering a pincushion myself. Small lobster?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How about a keyhole limpet, a.k.a the "elephant slug"? I love to watch them ooze over the glass, and they're a lovely black colour which is unusual for aquarium gastropods. They're listed as "?" for reef tanks, although they haven't eaten any of my coral (yet).
I had limpets in my 50g but mine were brownish colored. They bred like roaches tho, almost a nuisance when I went to the 120g. Didn't notice them eating corals, but I knew it was a risk!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a urchin? Im considering a pincushion myself.
These have had the poorest survival rate for me; tuxedos are so much hardier, and fun to pick up, too. They're even being bred in captivity these days!

They bred like roaches tho, almost a nuisance when I went to the 120g
Liveaquaria: "the breeding habits of these Limpets have not been observed in captivity". Well, it's good to know that some molluscs are capable of modesty these days.

Also liveaquaria: "they are sensitive to high nitrate levels". Well, liveaquaria appears to be full of beans, as my nitrates are sky-high in my RSR350 due to gluttonous, greedy fish and guilty overfeeding, and those limpets are just chuggin' along.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unusual inverts (not necessarily applicable to your size of tank, but here's a short list):
* Sea cucumbers (black, pink & green)
* Radiant (fire) urchins
* Tube anemones
* Flame scallops
* Horseshoe crabs
* Hawaiian strawberry crab (personal favorite)
* Abalone (another favorite - slug life!)

I also have an ever-expanding collection of miscellaneous hermit crabs - all of which I was able to identify at one point but which I've since forgot.
There’s a few you’ve listed that I love to watch. I love the Flame Scallops and Strawberry Crabs. I’ve cared for a Flame Scallop before however that was way back so I don’t really remember much about care. Sea Cucumbers are another one I like to watch but I don’t think I have the needed food for one.

That limpet is a new one, definitely going to look into it!
The mention of Black already excites me so if I ever find a couple I may grab them ;)
These have had the poorest survival rate for me; tuxedos are so much hardier, and fun to pick up, too. They're even being bred in captivity these days!
That’s interesting to hear, I have two pincushions in my 4’ tank and they love it, plenty of coralline to graze. I think these guys are coming on 2 years now.
image.jpg

I have 2 or 3 emerald crabs roaming around in my 120 gal, they are cool creatures. Ill randomly see a claw come out of a rock and see they are still around.

Id suggest a conch & nassarius but you already have them.

Consider a urchin? Im considering a pincushion myself. Small lobster?
I would have a lobster or an urchin however I’ve had a bad experience with urchins and small fish (A pincushion got hold of a Tanakai Pygmy possum wrasse I owned).
I’m certainly considering emeralds however the issue I have is I’ve never combatted Bubble algae in my nano (4’ tank did combat Bubble Algae 2 years ago). So I’m unsure on how well they’d do as it’s been a while since I’ve owned them (The 2 in my 4’ tank just vanished).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back