Unusual macroalgae ID needed

advanwoerden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I need help IDing this weird macroalgae that started randomly growing in my tank after years of owning it and not having introduced anything in months. Also any ideas on how I can get rid of it (in addition to water changes and phosphate filters)? Thank you!

845133EA-5F8E-4042-A0BC-1585D00265D8.jpeg 73110915-18A6-4841-B6D6-DE5248B92CB1.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acetabularium or something like that. Is that Florida live rock?

Edit:
Acetabularia acetabulum

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a species of Acetabularia.
I'm not sure whether there is a specific way to get rid of it other than nutrient control and manual removal.
Got room for a tang or a Foxface?

I've seen this pop up before alongside caulerpa after years of dormancy. I had a rock that it repeted a few times but eventually it disappeared like it appeared. IF you wanted it to grow it would not be there, for sure! :)

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most know it as a type of Acetabularia and is considered desireable and hard to keep. Many types have reclassed into the family Parvocaulis. If you do some google searching you may find a match. My experience is ones like that, that colonially sprout from the rock, are very hard to irradicate and will come back forever. They will imbed in all calcium surfaces including your snail's shells. The ones that are single like the one in my avatar are the dainty and desireable type that are almost impossible to keep. One of my snails with a similar evil species (likely parvocaulis). I tore that tank down because I let it get out of hand.

snail1.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most know it as a type of Acetabularia and is considered desireable and hard to keep. Many types have reclassed into the family Parvocaulis. If you do some google searching you may find a match. My experience is ones like that, that colonially sprout from the rock, are very hard to irradicate and will come back forever. They will imbed in all calcium surfaces including your snail's shells. The ones that are single like the one in my avatar are the dainty and desireable type that are almost impossible to keep. One of my snails with a similar evil species (likely parvocaulis). I tore that tank down because I let it get out of hand.

snail1.jpg
Well that sounds better than what I wrote! Lotta good resources on here much more knowledgable than me!
Nice picture and sorry about the tank. I wont asked what happened to snail. RIP.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was years ago. Cerith snails only live about three years. The algae didn't seem to bother them. (yes they all got it). I still have rocks that algae grows on even after a year in a brute can in darkness. Put it in the light and boom. True evil. I hope the OP's is less aggressive.

OP
OP
A

advanwoerden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow yes thank you everyone that’s it! I’ve had the live rock for over 10 years and haven’t bought any corals or inverts in maybe a year. The acetabularia completely took over my tank, admittedly though I’ve kind of neglected it. I read that they need a lot of calcium? The strange thing is I haven’t done a water change in months so would’ve figured my calcium is low. Also I only have 2 fish and feed a minimal amount of flakes once a day, so my nutrient levels shouldn’t be that high. I ripped out all the algae a week ago and some is coming back. I took all my LR today and scraped it all with a wire brush. Do any snails or crabs eat them? Otherwise if they come back again I guess I’ll invest in a tang. Thanks everyone for your quick replies!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back