Update:I think it’s velvet not ich

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a thread a few weeks ago regarding my mccoskers wrasse being sick. I thought he had ich, but after being like this for one week it seems like it’s velvet. It’s as if there is powder spread all over his body, I thought it was sand at first but his demeanor has changed in the past month and I’ve never noticed these spots before so I’m going to rule out sand. He spends most of this time hovering at the top of the tank, breathing faster than normal but not really rapidly. Again he’s been like this for the past few weeks, I’m really worried about my other fish and had no luck getting him out so far. None of my other 7 fish show any signs of these spots/powder since this started. All advice is appreciated, I’ll attach a video and a few photos.

D13974DE-3839-4A0A-88F5-608BAA749657.jpeg 2DCF994E-4DF4-46E1-A470-04C2B0E38443.jpeg CD2852B5-2FF1-4B0D-9E26-63EB37DFF8B7.jpeg D319C337-5824-457D-8D87-FD4C00A8B519.jpeg 2765AA8E-923C-4DC2-BCAB-DC76022A893C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4415.MOV
    8.8 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently experienced a velvet outbreak, if it looks like he’s been rolled in or sprinkled in flour - it could very well be velvet.

That being said, velvet moved through my tank like a whirlwind - infecting roughly half my fish within 24-48 hours and ultimately killing about a third within a week.

As this happened in my display tank and ripping everything apart to catch all my fish to quarantine wasn’t a viable option, I went with an oversized UV and a treatment of Polyp Lab Medic that probably saved a half dozen or more fish.

Polyp Lab Medic is reef safe and I’d recommend starting a treatment of this ASAP if you determine it’s velvet and even if none of your other fish are yet showing symptoms (velvet has a period of dormancy that can lull you into a false sense of complacency).

The fish that survived all continued to eat, so weekly or semi-weekly water changes, increasing their diet and feeding and anything you can do to reduce their stress is only going to help. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having recently experienced a velvet outbreak, if it looks like he’s been rolled in or sprinkled in flour - it could very well be velvet.

That being said, velvet moved through my tank like a whirlwind - infecting roughly half my fish within 24-48 hours and ultimately killing about a third within a week.

As this happened in my display tank and ripping everything apart to catch all my fish to quarantine wasn’t a viable option, I went with an oversized UV and a treatment of Polyp Lab Medic that probably saved a half dozen or more fish.

Polyp Lab Medic is reef safe and I’d recommend starting a treatment of this ASAP if you determine it’s velvet and even if none of your other fish are yet showing symptoms (velvet has a period of dormancy that can lull you into a false sense of complacency).

The fish that survived all continued to eat, so weekly or semi-weekly water changes, increasing their diet and feeding and anything you can do to reduce their stress is only going to help. Good luck!
Thank you. It’s been like this for a few weeks and I assumed if it was velvet it would have spread to my other fishes or killed my mccoskers. Catching a wrasse is a pain and probably the hardest to do. I’m worried, stressed and even if I take apart my tank I don’t think I can catch him. From the pictures what do you think it is, does it look like your previous fish that had velvet?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It’s been like this for a few weeks and I assumed if it was velvet it would have spread to my other fishes or killed my mccoskers. Catching a wrasse is a pain and probably the hardest to do. I’m worried, stressed and even if I take apart my tank I don’t think I can catch him. From the pictures what do you think it is, does it look like your previous fish that had velvet?
I can’t be 100%, and it’s hard to tell from images (the owner of my LFS who’s also a friend had to come over and visually confirm it for me because he also found it hard to tell just from images), but from what I can see in the images and what you describe from the behavior, it does sound a lot like velvet.

What happened with my tank is that I lost 4-5 fish in literally 24-48 hours, quite a few became noticeably stressed and their colors faded abruptly. By the time I realized I had a problem around half of the surviving fish were showing varying degrees of a parasite, and quick action probably prevented the loss of most or even all of my fish.

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be 100%, and it’s hard to tell from images (the owner of my LFS who’s also a friend had to come over and visually confirm it for me because he also found it hard to tell just from images), but from what I can see in the images and what you describe from the behavior, it does sound a lot like velvet.

What happened with my tank is that I lost 4-5 fish in literally 24-48 hours, quite a few became noticeably stressed and their colors faded abruptly. By the time I realized I had a problem around half of the surviving fish were showing varying degrees of a parasite, and quick action probably prevented the loss of most or even all of my fish.
My mccoskers has color loss but the only thing that confuses me is how it lasts so long and none of my other fish has gotten anything. @Humblefish @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal any idea of it’s velvet from these pictures

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a thread a few weeks ago regarding my mccoskers wrasse being sick. I thought he had ich, but after being like this for one week it seems like it’s velvet. It’s as if there is powder spread all over his body, I thought it was sand at first but his demeanor has changed in the past month and I’ve never noticed these spots before so I’m going to rule out sand. He spends most of this time hovering at the top of the tank, breathing faster than normal but not really rapidly. Again he’s been like this for the past few weeks, I’m really worried about my other fish and had no luck getting him out so far. None of my other 7 fish show any signs of these spots/powder since this started. All advice is appreciated, I’ll attach a video and a few photos.

D13974DE-3839-4A0A-88F5-608BAA749657.jpeg 2DCF994E-4DF4-46E1-A470-04C2B0E38443.jpeg CD2852B5-2FF1-4B0D-9E26-63EB37DFF8B7.jpeg D319C337-5824-457D-8D87-FD4C00A8B519.jpeg 2765AA8E-923C-4DC2-BCAB-DC76022A893C.jpeg

That's not true velvet (Amyloodinium). The fish isn't breathing hard, and fish with velvet won't survive a week unless they are treated.

The blue lights make it tough to see, but it does just look like ich. No other fish have spots yet? It could possibly be flukes. The way to tell is hard to do on a fast swimming fish like this - but basically, if the white spots are in the same location on the fish for longer than 36 hours, it isn't ich. If the spots move around and change in numbers, it is more likely to be ich.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true velvet (Amyloodinium). The fish isn't breathing hard, and fish with velvet won't survive a week unless they are treated.

The blue lights make it tough to see, but it does just look like ich. No other fish have spots yet? It could possibly be flukes. The way to tell is hard to do on a fast swimming fish like this - but basically, if the white spots are in the same location on the fish for longer than 36 hours, it isn't ich. If the spots move around and change in numbers, it is more likely to be ich.

Jay
Wow so after three weeks now this morning I noticed my flameback and yellow yang with spots. Going to remove all the fish and treat for copper, I want to thank you for helping me with this. I really appreciate it @blaxsun @Jay Hemdal

Last edited:
Back