Update on my 180 gallon reef tank

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this week has been an amazing week for me! I have been one lucky person with getting this reef tank together. Before this weekend my tank was housing 2 yellow tail damsels and 8 chromis(now down to 1). Well after finally getting the parameters to where they need to be I decided to take a leap and add more fish but before all that I decided to make a phone call to my lfs and ask if they would take the 125lbs of extra live rock I had a carpet anenome, 2 green brittle starfish and 1 serpent starfish (the stars I received in a great deal from a mom and pop shop closing down the street from my work which I also got a yellow tang and black damsel along with some hermits and snails all for $20). Now let's get to the best part of the weekend! Today I took the leap and went to the LFS to take my critters and live rock and got my store credit and decided to spend a little money. It wasn't easy to decide I think I was there for an hr just looking around and it didn't make it any easier with having my best friend by my side saying get this get that lol. After looking around for some time I finally got my eye caught on what would be my first addition to my tank, this was a rose bubble tip anenome. After deciding to go with the rose nem I said nothing better than having a pair of clownfish to go with it and I quickly picked out pair of clowns. Now the decisions became harder and I couldn't bear it anymore. The corner of my eye quickly became attracted from something across the room and this was a pink spotted watchman goby after picking him out what else but to get a candy cane pistol shrimp to go with him. I wanted to get one more fish before leaving and couldn't decide between a foxface, flame angel or coral beauty this I had my friend choose and he was quick to say coral beauty and I am glad he did! The coral beauty has such amazing color and adds so much to my tank. After getting to the cash register I was prepared to be spending some money and quickly forgot about the credit it all came to $185 and after the credit it was $65. I was thrilled and couldn't wait to get home. This week/ weekend has been amazing for me and literally watching my tank come alive bit by bit! Once again to everyone who shared information in any of my previous threads thank you for all your support and knowledge, I appreciate it all. I added come pictures of what I could get after adding them to the tank ( the coral beauty has just been roaming in the rocks the whole time)

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bml1024
I'm proud for you and thanks so much for the call out.
You have an awesome aquascape. Since your live rock was already mature, then I think the BTA will be fine. :)
I'm glad that you posted on Randy's forum and we "all" got the answer about the ammonia that you were seeing.
Please let us know how your BTA takes to your AP700's. I've seen some BTA's that love led's and some that never can open up under them. Just let it be and it will find it's happy spot.

Thanks for starting this thread and as long as you keep it going, then I'll be along for the ride. :)

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols thank you. Yea funny how my friends Red Sea kit tested me at 0. Im definantly excited to see how any coral takes to the ap700s. The rose so far opened up more than what it was at the lfs. And alll the fish look 100x better under the lighting as well. Also quick question for you I need to get a head start on this algae and been trying to find out the best place to order reef cleaner packs as well as anything else you may recommend. I looked at liveaquaria and they are just to expensive for reef cleaner packs.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols thank you. Yea funny how my friends Red Sea kit tested me at 0. Im definantly excited to see how any coral takes to the ap700s. The rose so far opened up more than what it was at the lfs. And alll the fish look 100x better under the lighting as well. Also quick question for you I need to get a head start on this algae and been trying to find out the best place to order reef cleaner packs as well as anything else you may recommend. I looked at liveaquaria and they are just to expensive for reef cleaner packs.
If your BTA is already opening up then it's going to be good under your led's.

That 180 is a big reef and I've only bought clean up crews from liveaquaria in the past. I can see that it would be expensive for a 180.
The best part of a clean up crew for me is those (Royal/Tuxedo) urchins.

The best thing I ever did for hair algae was the day I started tumbling GFO in it's own reactor to control phosphate levels.

The only others things I could add is test kits that I trust and Randy's water parm. article link.
Phos - Hanna ULR checker. (Must keep the vials spotless)
Nitrates - Salifert

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

OP
OP
Bml1024

Bml1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a coral beauty that doesn't leave the aquascape literallly swims in and out of the rocks back and forth

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bml1024 how is the tank? I was researching lighting and came across your thread from last year.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 104 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back