Upgrade advice needed

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on acrylic - I've owned two in the past and much prefer them. I've also had sump setups in the past, and while they're obviously better for usability than an AIO, I do like my current AIO. I am not using anything made for a biocube, mind you, and haven't needed a skimmer since I put a fuge in the back.

For something like a Red Sea though, can you actually put a wooden canopy on the rimless tank? I haven't seen anything saying whether that's safe, either way. The stand being wood is fine - not worried about that, but have to have a canopy on the tank.
You could look into an older used Red Sea AIO, if I remember correctly they used to produce a larger AIO (i think 50g and 75g) that had an enclosed canopy like the biocube. Not sure what kind of lighting they came with, so it might require a diy/retrofit lighting upgrade, but otherwise they’re pretty similar to the biocube in terms of the filtration setup.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into an older used Red Sea AIO, if I remember correctly they used to produce a larger AIO (i think 50g and 75g) that had an enclosed canopy like the biocube. Not sure what kind of lighting they came with, so it might require a diy/retrofit lighting upgrade, but otherwise they’re pretty similar to the biocube in terms of the filtration setup.
I’ve seen those and really like them (at least online)

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting closer to a decision! I think I’m going with American Aquariums but waiting for another question to be answered from TruVu. AA will make exactly the stand and canopy I want (with a front lift via piano hinge for this short girl lol) but I don’t think TruVu can do a canopy like that. The only hesitation with AA is that their backing color is vinyl rather than colored acrylic.

According to calculations, the tank should be around 67 gallons plus more in a sump. Looking at what other things I may need and not sure if my return pump should be upgraded. Currently have the Mighty Jet 568 gph (dialed down in my biocube). I really like the pump so if that’s enough flow, I’d try it out for a bit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back