• 40 breeder with no sump

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am at a point with my 40b that I dont know what to do with it. I’m kinda tired of the hob equipment and heaters and wires in the “display”. I enjoy my tank, but I have the itch for something a little more ”better” so to speak or allinone. I really like the IMlagoon 25. Would you rather have the aio tank or the bigger tank with equipment everywhere? I’d love any input.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am at a point with my 40b that I dont know what to do with it. I’m kinda tired of the hob equipment and heaters and wires in the “display”. I enjoy my tank, but I have the itch for something a little more ”better” so to speak or allinone. I really like the IMlagoon 25. Would you rather have the aio tank or the bigger tank with equipment everywhere? I’d love any input.

I'd suggest upgrading to a sumped tank. I would rather have a bigger tank (or even the same sized 40B) with a larger dedicated area for all that obscene equipment than an AIO myself. Plus you might not be able to get the Lagoon 25, you could step up to a lagoon 50 though.

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of with @JoshH on this. I've got a 29 biocube, and a 125 with a sump. I really like the accessibility of a separate sump and the versatility it provides. The AIO is limited and maintenance is kind of a chore. If you're going to make a change, I suggest you thoroughly explore your options. Any future tank I install will have a stand alone sump. I'm sure you will get differing opinions.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space is of the issue, also I have someone local that’s selling his lagoon 25. Now I see the may be discontinued.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space is of the issue, also I have someone local that’s selling his lagoon 25. Now I see the may be discontinued.
I have a Lagoon 50 and it’s difficult to clean the sump area so I would imagine it’s even harder to deal with the Lagoon 25 in that regard. They now make both the 25 and 50 available in the EXT line that would allow you to use them with a sump. If you like the 25 footprint that’s the way to go. I would have done a 50 EXT instead of the Lagoon 50 if I had it to do over again.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said space is an issue but I’m running the Aqueon Pro Flex sump and although I don’t love the sump, it certainly gets the job done, was reasonably priced and takes up minimal space. Just something to consider.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lagoon 50 and it’s difficult to clean the sump area so I would imagine it’s even harder to deal with the Lagoon 25 in that regard. They now make both the 25 and 50 available in the EXT line that would allow you to use them with a sump. If you like the 25 footprint that’s the way to go. I would have done a 50 EXT instead of the Lagoon 50 if I had it to do over again.

Definitely a +1 on the EXT line, they have the 30L, 40, lagoon 50, 75 and 100.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gal DT with a 20 gal high for a sump.

The only equipment in the DT is the drilled overflow and two circulating pumps. The 20 high is crammed with a refuge area, skimmer, return pump, mini reactor mounted overhead, heater and the float for the ATO. I also drip kalk there via a dosing pump from the basement.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something? Brs has 30 lagoon 25 aio in stock?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room under the tank

Sump in the basement time!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious with that limitation I would make sure to get an AIO with as large of a back space as possible, and this directly relates to the length of the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM Lagoon and find maintance to be a breeze. I use Intank media baskets with floss and the back area doesn't get dirty. I just use gravity to suck out any debris every few months. No biggy. The tank is extremely low maintance.

I have a red sea with a sump but the AIO is less maintenance. The sump gets full of debris and I can't use gravity to clean it.

I think my AIOs media baskets just catch everything better than red seas set up and with the sicce...flow is good through the back chambers so nothing settles. I can clean the back using gravity so it's simple.

I just use floss...a small amount of BRS carbon in a bag and a small skimmer. My tank is in my bedroom and is silent

MVIMG_20190809_002515.jpg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something? Brs has 30 lagoon 25 aio in stock?
I have the IM Lagoon and find maintance to be a breeze. I use Intank media baskets with floss and the back area doesn't get dirty. I just use gravity to suck out any debris every few months. No biggy. The tank is extremely low maintance.

I have a red sea with a sump but the AIO is less maintenance. The sump gets full of debris and I can't use gravity to clean it.

I think my AIOs media baskets just catch everything better than red seas set up and with the sicce...flow is good through the back chambers so nothing settles. I can clean the back using gravity so it's simple.

Experiences will vary. I have intank media baskets as well but my rear area, especially the areas under the two chambers on each side, were filled with detritus. I had to use a bottom fed pump in there and use the hose like a pressure washer to get all the gunk up and then pump out the filthy water. My hands are large so working in that area is tougher for me than it might be for others and mine is the 50. The 25 would be exponentially worse in the same situation. I would much rather have the ext version with a sump now that I’ve lived with the AIO for a while. Your tank looks really great though so keep doing what your doing because it’s obviously working. I hope one day my tank looks that good.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just use floss...a small amount of BRS carbon in a bag and a small skimmer. My tank is in my bedroom and is silent

Wow I really like your tank, it’s motivation honestly

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiences will vary. I have intank media baskets as well but my rear area, especially the areas under the two chambers on each side, were filled with detritus. I had to use a bottom fed pump in there and use the hose like a pressure washer to get all the gunk up and then pump out the filthy water. My hands are large so working in that area is tougher for me than it might be for others and mine is the 50. The 25 would be exponentially worse in the same situation. I would much rather have the ext version with a sump now that I’ve lived with the AIO for a while. Your tank looks really great though so keep doing what your doing because it’s obviously working. I hope one day my tank looks that good.

I will be honest...I make no real effort to clean that area and agree it would be a pain to do so. I stick a hose down there every few months and what comes out comes out. I don't see a ton back there but have seen no negative effects on leaving the debris to feed the coral and sponges and filter feeders.

I have 5 nano tanks so and everything very simple....otherwise they would eat up too much time to maintain.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back