Upgrade from ReefLED 90

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I currently have 3 RedSea ReefLED 90's over a Reefer 525XL. I think these are great beginner lights and more than sufficient for soft and LPS corals. I am starting to try my hand at SPS and have found that I have to be quite particular with my placement.

I am considering an upgrade, but was hoping to get some feedback on the following options, as it relates to keeping SPS but also other considerations such as power, heat and aesthetics:

- A straight 1 for 1 upgrade to 3 AI Hydra 64's
- An upgrade to a ATI 4x54W Hybrid Powermodule
- Retain my ReefLED's and install them within a 48" AquaticLife T5 hybrid fixture

I am OK with the cost of each of these options, as long as they provide value. Some constraints impacting me are:

- I am in Australia, so I don't have the same access to all equipment as many in the US / Europe do. For example, it seems to be quite difficult to get the AquatifLife fixtures, ReeFi's, Orpheks etc.
- Due to the above, I am unlikely to be able to preview many set ups in person
- I have a custom acrylic lid so would like to retain mounting arms in a similar position

Any input at all would be appreciated!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with the ReefLED fixtures, but from the reviews I've seen, I certainly wouldn't call them "beginner lights". They are a little lower wattage that most of the big name led fixtures, but their PAR levels even at 18" deep is really pretty good.

If budget isn't a big issue, I'd find some way to get my hands on a PAR meter, even if that means buying one (I have an Apogee and I wouldn't be without it). So you can test your PAR levels before you spend money on new fixtures that may not be much of an improvement.

I'm not an led expert, but I do have quite a bit of experience as I've been using them since they started offering them in white & blue with dimmers! And I worked for a couple of years with an aquarium led fixture company. But help here from others that have Red Sea ReefLED fixtures will probably be more helpful.

Good luck.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would go hybrid with the 90s. If they’ll fit in the fixture you’re looking at. I know Bulkreefsupply has a video out there talking about the hybrid fixture and how the T5s give that blanket coverage where maybe the LEDs lack.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my daughter the E-170 with a Reef LED 90 and at 65% output on the blues and 5% on the white, it's growing SPS nicely. Red Sea did a lot of research to support putting these out. I think if you boost the % on the output you will find they will do the job. On the Red Sea You Tube channel they have 4 videos highlighting this research and their lights.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also say keep the ReefLED 90s. They are really pretty good lights and in no way a beginner light. Yes they are very user friendly which makes them great for someone new to the hobby. Easy of use and repeatable results seem to be the thought process behind Red Sea's products these days. I would add the T5 fixture to the 90s if you want to upgrade the lighting but the 90s are good for sps on their own. If you are having placement issues you should get a PAR meter and dial in the lights, may be too much PAR.

jamie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those reef 90s grow sps incredibly well. keep using them. if you end up selling them for your own reasons let me know ill pick them up for my frag system!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow SPS like crazy with the redsea 90s , I just added a t5 to help with the coverage , as with any point of light fixture and acros , you may want to use 6 and split the center with them so you will wind up catching all the sides of the sticks , as far as growing coral these put out as much par and more PUR than any light out @ the same wattage. Not beginner at all , but if your looking for no shading with kessils or these you have to double them up a front row and back row all equally spaced out, and crank down the overall intensity if your running the 15k youll have insane par /pur

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will look into a PAR meter in the first instance, as it seems there are many successful SPS tanks using the Reef LED’s.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like them. The shimmer. The company is just bleh. And the lights are just too new to tell. If you have the access and the funds, check out radions as they are the #1 led in the industry right now. I have Ai hydra 26hd’s over all my tanks and can’t complain. I get great color, growth, just the right amount of shimmer, I’ve got good customer service from them. The 64’s might be overkill but should be perfect if you want a sps dominant system :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back