Upgrade options- single or duel overflows?

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to upgrade my current 70 gallon + 20 gallon sump to a 150 gallon + 35-40 gallon sump next year and trying to pick out what all we want now to start budgeting for it.

What are the pro's and con's of having a singular overflow or dual overflow?

Would it create the need for additional pumps and/or cause issues with my chiller?

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good that you're researching first. There are lots of different ways to configure overflows.

I have dual overflows on my 125. They are those old school Megaflow type that I converted each side to its own Herbie, each has a siphon and an emergency. I run returns over the back. If I were to start new, I wouldn't use those overflows, as they take up too much room and I don't like how they look. I would do a single external overflow on one end with 3 holes for a Bean.

What kind of overflow are you planning?

Would it create the need for additional pumps and/or cause issues with my chiller?
You can have multiple overflows with 1 return pump. If I lived in Houston and had to run a chiller, I would have a dedicated pump for that.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good that you're researching first. There are lots of different ways to configure overflows.

I have dual overflows on my 125. They are those old school Megaflow type that I converted each side to its own Herbie, each has a siphon and an emergency. I run returns over the back. If I were to start new, I wouldn't use those overflows, as they take up too much room and I don't like how they look. I would do a single external overflow on one end with 3 holes for a Bean.

What kind of overflow are you planning?

You can have multiple overflows with 1 return pump. If I lived in Houston and had to run a chiller, I would have a dedicated pump for that.
I have been in the hobby for just under a year now so I am still learning all the different options!

I admittedly jumped the gun when my husband gave me the green light on starting a tank and bought a used tank before doing as much research as I should have. I am more of a visual person so once the tank got here and I started learning more about sumps, overflows, etc. I feel like I have a better grip on understanding.

Its an older Oceanic and the seams have seen better days, the tank is scratched to hell, LOUD, and the sump is small and hard to work in. The plumping was a nightmare and trying to figure it out when you don't really understand what you're doing had me banging my head against the wall. It was a huge challenge but it made me appreciate what I have been able to do on my own.

So I decided if I could get through two years of being able to do it I would invest in a new tank that had all the things I wanted and I am trying to go slow and plan everything to avoid what I did with my current tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to upgrade my current 70 gallon + 20 gallon sump to a 150 gallon + 35-40 gallon sump next year and trying to pick out what all we want now to start budgeting for it.

What are the pro's and con's of having a singular overflow or dual overflow?

One advantage of dual overflows (assuming there are 2 returns) is the increased flow options within the tank (more nozzles).
But there are disadvantages to dual overflows too, especially if you're like me and prefer the internal ones.

OP
OP
B

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One advantage of dual overflows (assuming there are 2 returns) is the increased flow options within the tank (more nozzles).
But there are disadvantages to dual overflows too, especially if you're like me and prefer the internal ones.
I like the internal ones too. I keep my tanks in the living room so having to pull it out from the wall a few more inches for plumbing takes up more space than I'd like

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 5.0%
Back